Options

Help with 2 Flashes to Trigger

WolfOnDigitalWolfOnDigital Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited August 21, 2011 in Technique
I have a Vivitar 285 Flash and A Vivitar 283
Want to use them with a Canon 20D for indoor model shots

I visited my camera store (Tempe Camera)

And they suggested buying a ProMaster 3 pack 2 Slaves and 1 triger for the hotshoe of my Canon 20D
The cost is $90
Is this a good brand Promaster?
Or do some of you recommend a different solution and or Brand?

They also suggested buying 2 light stands and 2 umbrellas etc

Thanks
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    If you are really looking for a cheap solution there are eBay triggers. I use RadioPoppers and I LOVE them. I have never had a misfire.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    WolfOnDigitalWolfOnDigital Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Thank You

Anyone else????
    I was hoping to have a lot of people give me some feedback please?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 16, 2011
    Do not use your 283 or your 285 on the hot shoe of your 20D.

A pair of Peanut optical slaves will trigger your Vivitar flashes via the pop up flash on your camera.

I use Pocket Wizards for my 285HVs, but there are a number of wireless radio triggers that can be used. I think the current eBay triggers are the Cactus V triggers - mine work ok, but not nearly as well or reliably as my PWs.

There are hot shoe slaves that protect the camera from the trigger voltage of the flash that would allow your to trigger your flashes with a PC cord from your camera - just do not use a PC cord from your 283 or your 285 directly into your camera PC connection...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Jules WinnfieldJules Winnfield Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2011
    Try using Cactus V2s! or V4s! They're great, super cheap, and expendable! I've gone through a couple and still haven't spent over 100 bucks total! Go on Midwest photo exchange and check them out!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    I have been using ones like these http://tinyurl.com/429r2hx for 2 or 3 yrs now and never had a prob.......theses are probably the most inexpensive flash triggers on the market.
    I use them with hot shoe flashes, Sunpak 622's, & studio flashes ..... they will work indoors or out door and optical flashes have a real hard time out doors...with 16 channels you can always find a channel some else is NOT using if other photogs are around using wireless flash triggers...... if you have 2 flashes buy 3 sets.....it is always good to have an extra one just in case you break one somehow.....I currently own 6 receivers and 3 transmitters.......after buying my 1st set i just kept my eye open for multi sets and asking every reseller on ebay if they had multis and even if they did not I started getting emails saying we are getting a 2 or 3 set in.....but still at just under $20 per set they are still very inexpensive and it onloy takes 7-15 days to get most orders from china.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website