Options

Angels Landing Hike - Zion NP

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited September 8, 2011 in Journeys
A few photos of our recent hike up Angels Landing in Zion NP. One of the most thrilling and spectacular hikes I've ever done.
1.The approach from the Grotto stop on the Zion bus route. That's Angels Landing at the upper left of the photo 1500 feet above us.
8411-17-XL.jpg
2. Looking down on Walter's Wiggles. A series of switchbacks up the trail
8411-16-XL.jpg
3. My wife taking a break at Scout's Landing before we ascend the steepest part of the trial. A wonderful view and a fine stopping point for many.
8411-1-XL.jpg
4. This photo shows the narrow ridge trail taken to ascend to the landing. Chains are available in places for those in need.
8411-3-XL.jpg
5. Exhiliration at the top. You must find someone to snap your photo!
8411-5-XL.jpg
6. Then relax and take in the wondrous view of Zion canyon all around you.
8411-11-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Zion is one of my favorite places and Angel's Landing one of my favorite hikes. Nice set of photos that took me back there. Maybe next year....
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Mitch,

Very nice photos. My wife and I are head to Vegas next month. She has some work stuff she will be doing their but afterwards, we were thinking of taking a day or two to check someplace out nearby. I believe Zion is about a 3-4 hour drive from Vegas. Is it worth it for two days? And should we do this hike, Angel's Landing?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Zion is 2.5 hours from Vegas and worth every minute of the drive. I would go back there in a heartbeat if you have the time. It's an easy drive on the highway. Stay in Springdale. I highly recommend the Cliffrose Lodge.

We just got back from a trip to Zion, Bryce and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Zion was by far our favorite of the bunch. For your two days there, definitely do the Angel's landing hike early one morning. It is the iconic hike in Zion. You should also hike up the Narrows for a few hours. You two would have a blast.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Love that place! I haven't done Angel's Landing, but Prezwoodz and I climbed the wall directly behind you in the summit pic with your wife, back in 2006! Thanks for the pics!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Zion is 2.5 hours from Vegas and worth every minute of the drive. I would go back there in a heartbeat if you have the time. It's an easy drive on the highway. Stay in Springdale. I highly recommend the Cliffrose Lodge.

We just got back from a trip to Zion, Bryce and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Zion was by far our favorite of the bunch. For your two days there, definitely do the Angel's landing hike early one morning. It is the iconic hike in Zion. You should also hike up the Narrows for a few hours. You two would have a blast.

Agreed! Zion is THE place if you are anywhere near there. We went partway up Angels Landing and wussed out on the final stretch. The Narrows is amazing! Rent some water shoes in Springdale and a bag for your camera gear and do it. You will not regret it.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Mitch,

Very nice photos. My wife and I are head to Vegas next month. She has some work stuff she will be doing their but afterwards, we were thinking of taking a day or two to check someplace out nearby. I believe Zion is about a 3-4 hour drive from Vegas. Is it worth it for two days? And should we do this hike, Angel's Landing?

There are a couple of other places very close to Vegas that are worth checking out if you've never seen them.

Hoover Dam is just east of Vegas, about a 20-minute drive, and has some incredible views. There's also a terrific new bridge next to the dam, with a pedestrian walkway, that offers even better views of the dam and Black Canyon.

Red Rock Canyon National Recreation Area is just west of Vegas, and even closer - less than 10 minutes from the city edge. It can get a little crowded on nice days, and it's fairly small compared to one of the national parks, but it's spectacular and beautiful and well worth a day to check out.

Valley of Fire State Park is about 1 hour northwest of Vegas. It's some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever encountered, with bright red rock terrain surrounding a large flat valley. There are multiple hiking trails, several high scenic views, and a campground, though it's close enough to Vegas to make a day trip of it and stay in a nice, comfy hotel if you like.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Mitch,

If you have the time, Zion is the place.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
  • Options
    bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    looks really nice. Now in my must do list:D
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com