Sigma vs. Canon 70-200 f/2.8

ddbruceddbruce Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 30, 2011 in Cameras
I have used the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, with amazing results, but I have also used the Canon version. I cannot seem to see any difference, other than the price. Anyone who owns one (or both) please let me know that the up- and down-sides to these lenses are.

Thanks!

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    ddbruce wrote: »
    I have used the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, with amazing results, but I have also used the Canon version. I cannot seem to see any difference, other than the price. Anyone who owns one (or both) please let me know that the up- and down-sides to these lenses are.

Thanks!

I don't own either. But what you did, to me at least, is where the rubber meets the road. You compared both and found them equally good.
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 17, 2011
    I tested 2 copies of a previous version of the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 EX HSM and, while it tested fine at smaller apertures and at close range, at distance and at f2.8 the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM is just much, much better.

My Sigma saga, with some sample images, starts around post #25 of this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24116&page=2

In fairness some people have had very good luck with the Sigma zoom.

I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing the Canon and it continues to serve me well. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    I faced the same decision last year, except for me it was Sigma 2.8 vs Canon f4. The Sigma is a few hundred more (at least the non-OS version). I went with the Canon.

Advantages of Sigma: f/2.8, stealth black.

Advantages of Canon: I've heard it has slightly better AF, build etc. Also, it's made by Canon, who knows their EF mount better than Sigma. AF was important to me, so I went with the Canon. I have no regrets (that is a human expression).

Plus I love white lenses, I don't care what people say about all that stealth stuff, if people comment on it then tell them how wonderful it is. I'm tired of all that rubbish about targets for stealing, I like cool expensive-looking Canon stuff.

Sorry, that was my fanboy side rolleyes1.gifDblbl.gif

I'd rather have the Canon for its AF alone, since most of my applications require fast AF tracking. But the Sigma's no slouch.
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011

Thanks!

if i were you and both lens compared equally then i'd go for the one that saves me money. i can purchase something else with that.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011

Thanks!

I would also say if you've used both and find no differences then go with the Sigma.
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I faced the same decision last year, except for me it was Sigma 2.8 vs Canon f4. The Sigma is a few hundred more (at least the non-OS version). I went with the Canon.

Advantages of Sigma: f/2.8, stealth black.

Advantages of Canon: I've heard it has slightly better AF, build etc. Also, it's made by Canon, who knows their EF mount better than Sigma. AF was important to me, so I went with the Canon. I have no regrets (that is a human expression).

Plus I love white lenses, I don't care what people say about all that stealth stuff, if people comment on it then tell them how wonderful it is. I'm tired of all that rubbish about targets for stealing, I like cool expensive-looking Canon stuff.

Sorry, that was my fanboy side rolleyes1.gifDblbl.gif

I'd rather have the Canon for its AF alone, since most of my applications require fast AF tracking. But the Sigma's no slouch.

wings.gif
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    The difference is in two years the Sigma will stop working and the Canon will not. Plus I believe the Canon has faster auto-focus but we don't carry the Sigma version any more; too many problems.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses