Options

MC#13, 1st attempt, C&C Please!

CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited August 22, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is my 1st attempt at MC#13. Would greatly appreciate any feedback.... Thanks!

DSC5351Edited1-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Pretty ghoulish.

My main suggestion is that the head on the hand looks too much like it was placed there digitally. I think the reason for this is that the head is so much sharper than the hand. If the hand is out of focus, the head probably would be too, or at least the focus would be gradually leassening as you got deep to the plane of the face. Does this make sense?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    yikes! scary and violent! I agree the head needs to look 'held' more. or maybe just blurred a little where it meets the hand. Keith
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Thanks for the comments... makes sense... Perhaps the main reason is that the action figure is small, and the head is less than half an inch, and I have used my macro lens, and so I got a very small DoF. Will continue working on it, and perhaps other ideas too...

Thanks again...
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Did you place the head in post-processing, or was it actually like that for the pic? It looks like the former, but if it is the latter, then, nevermind.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Did you place the head in post-processing, or was it actually like that for the pic? It looks like the former, but if it is the latter, then, nevermind.

No. The head was there in the picture. No post processing. The issue is that the head is actually on top of a spear that the guy is holding in his hand, and so there is a bit of distance between the head and the hand, and so the small DoF has caused the issue you see. Perhaps I can move the head a bit more away from the hand or maybe use a slightly different angle so the presence of spear is more noticeable. Anyway, I'll see what I can pull off for this challenge. It is a tough challenge indeed!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Ahhh. The spear is holding the head forward into the plane of focus. That makes sense. If you do reshoot it, I would think that all you would have to do is get an angle that shows a little of that spear. Otherwise, the head and the head being on the same plane could make for a pretty cool shot.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    That's one creepy action figure! If you're going to do some re-shooting anyway, I'd suggest trying a couple of shots with some harsher, more directional lighting just to see how it looks. It may add some additional drama.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    Second attempt...
    Spent some more time today playing with the action figure shots I had taken. What do you think about any of these collages?

3001-L.jpg

Spirit1-L.jpg

Thanks...