Preschool: Traditional vs. Creative

iCandiiCandi Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited August 20, 2011 in People
I have the pleasure of taking preschool shots again this year. This was a call back with high remarks from last years session.

Last year was the first try at doing school pictures. Like a virgin (Madonna remarks welcome), I was a little green to the situation and placed the students on a chair taking half body shots. I shot 2 poses in that chair - not leaving a lot of room for option. I had great feedback, but the sales were a low. Most just purchased a class photo, 8x10 and a few wallets.

I asked some advice from a fellow photog (and mother of a preschooler), and was given the idea to try to create less traditional and more creative shots. Instead of the usual chair in front of a muslin (which I hate backdrops at all), she talked about what she'd like to see. She said she'd be more willing to spend money on close head shots and shots that have personality all over them. I agree. I would too.

It's a preschool, so the usual traditional 'school shots' need not apply. I've already been given the green light to do whatever I feel like I need to do.

Would it be too much of a hassle to try to give more option to the parents and do the creative shots? And if so, as photographers what would be idealistic for children that small?

And for some of the parents on this board - traditional school photos or creative school photos?

Does this post even make sense? lol I'm blaming it on our newborn.

i.Candi by Mandi Photgraphy
Seymour, IN

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    I generally take two bkgs. The traditional one and I do a head shot and a profile. Then we pop over to a white sweep bkg and do some full lenghts sitting down, being silly etc. Sells were pretty good.
  • e mari ad terrame mari ad terram Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Your initial question is about posing, but it seems the heart of the issue is about sales. And when shooting groups like schools or sports teams, sales is the true goal. I am by no means an expert, but have an experience similar to yours with a coworkers youth basketball team. We did cool shots, I even cropped the kids out onto cool B-ball backgrounds and made little trading cards. Sales were low at best.

Enter the pre-sold package.

As hokie as it seems, the old school photographer sending home the sheet with A-F options of packages with set prices is what works. As a parent (I have two) we are constantly bombarded with things to do, attend, buy, etc with school. If you take my kids picture, then ask me later to buy them, my purchase is totally going to rest on the photo. Did he smile good, do I really like that orange shirt I sent him to school in? Or worse yet, did I even remember to go to that site and order/look at them? Ya know?

I guess all I am saying is maybe try putting together 5 options of packages with varying price levels, and have the forms due back prior to picture day. Leave the buy-later for follow up sales opportunities. (I assume you are using a smug site to host...)

Just my 2 cents.

hope it helps

Ryan
    Fear evaporates when we realize that our life stories and the history of the world were written with the same hand.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    I can't speak to shooting the pictures, but when my daughter was in preschool they had somebody take very nice outdoor, natural-light pictures of the kids next to a tree in the playground - it remains one of my favorite "formal" shots of her when she was that age (I was still shooting film, and not as seriously as I am now, so my own pictures at the time are mostly just snapshots).

They then took the group class picture on the wooden "boat" that was in the playground. It's a really cute picture of all the kids.

Just an idea that worked for at least one parent! Ymmv, of course thumb.gif
  • AngelinaSAngelinaS Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2011
    Your initial question is about posing, but it seems the heart of the issue is about sales. And when shooting groups like schools or sports teams, sales is the true goal. I am by no means an expert, but have an experience similar to yours with a coworkers youth basketball team. We did cool shots, I even cropped the kids out onto cool B-ball backgrounds and made little trading cards. Sales were low at best.

Enter the pre-sold package.

As hokie as it seems, the old school photographer sending home the sheet with A-F options of packages with set prices is what works. As a parent (I have two) we are constantly bombarded with things to do, attend, buy, etc with school. If you take my kids picture, then ask me later to buy them, my purchase is totally going to rest on the photo. Did he smile good, do I really like that orange shirt I sent him to school in? Or worse yet, did I even remember to go to that site and order/look at them? Ya know?

I guess all I am saying is maybe try putting together 5 options of packages with varying price levels, and have the forms due back prior to picture day. Leave the buy-later for follow up sales opportunities. (I assume you are using a smug site to host...)

Just my 2 cents.

hope it helps

Ryan

Agree strongly with this. I've been doing preschool and kindergarten pics for four years and tried both ways. Pre-paid is the way to go. Of course, I also offer the option to "upgrade" when the pics come in, and also a re-shoot guarantee for anyone who may not be happy with a child's expression or the fact that his cowlick was sticking straight up. :D

And in answer to your original question, there's nothing wrong with trying a couple of poses. Our preschool photos are always a little non-traditional. The parents love them. Kindergarten, on the other hand, are very traditional, because that is what our schools want.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    I've been doing preschool for years and I always do natural light in the courtyard. This particular garden has a brick labyrinth and a couple of raised flower beds with low stone walls. I have the choice of putting kids sitting on the wall, standing beside the wall, or sitting on the bricks. I put three proofs on an order form and sell my prints a la carte. They can purchase a disc, as well. I also put them in online galleries on smugmug. The biggest benefit to being this flexible is that parents will reorder months or years later. The experience leads them to hire me for private sessions. I also do another small private school that goes from prek- high school, and I do it the same way. Here is an example gallery I can show you shot with a two year old:http://www.carolinepoephotography.com/Client-Proofs/Family-and-Child-Portraits/Sassy-Lu/14189495_DA96o#1047735536_RG6Q3

P.S.
    Parents of preschoolers buy way more photos than any other age (except maybe seniors.) My sales have always been strong enough to justify the work that goes into it. Oh, and once you get a preschool family as a client, they call a couple times a year for years to come.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Last few years I have been taking photos at one school. I take photos during class, in the cafeteria, in the gym, playground, etc. Got some great shots that way. Just staying out of the way and doing journalistic style photos. Took a few during a musical recital, hero day when the kids dress up as their favorite heroes, puppet show, school play more. Just a lot of fun and some memorable shots.

Not intended as a money maker though. Perhaps you could ask about list of special events on the calendar and try it out.

School plays by grade is the best especially if you can go the rehearsal take some shots there and anticipate better during the live event.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • iCandiiCandi Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    You guys are great. Thanks for the suggestions.

Caroline, I love, love the idea.

Last year the teacher was absolutely set on blue muslin and traditional school photos. This year she gave me the green light for whatever so I was just curious as to what others did in situations like this. I didn't want to completely set up a huge mini shoot or anything, but just looking for some ideas. Again, you guys are great, love the advice.

The sessions are in late September, so we'll see how it goes!

i.Candi by Mandi Photgraphy
    Seymour, IN