coicidence or copycat? (swimwear)

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited August 18, 2011 in People
137321298.jpg

Bottom photo is mine. Shot last year as a commissioned shoot for the designer -- the same designer mentioned in the top photo. I've since been hired several times for shoots by this same designer, last one was in June. No problems there.

But for the top photo, the photographer borrowed swimwear from the designer, and shot it for free this summer. And of course, plastered it with his logo and the designer logo and posted it all over FB.

Am I just being silly thinking this is a copycat? I mean I know they're different photos but same designer, same concept, similar locations (might be the same beach) Did I mention the bottom photo is blown up huge and on display in the designers store and featured on her business card? It would be tough to miss when borrowing clothes.

Should I be flattered or am I nuts thinking this is a copycat?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    I think it's a classic shot that has been done countless times. Yours isn't original either, although well executed.
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I think it's a classic shot that has been done countless times. Yours isn't original either, although well executed.

That was my thought. Both are standard poses, different backgrounds. The styles are similar, but hard to say it is a copycat. (Yours is much better, though.)
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Okay, I appreciate the feedback guys. That's why I posted. Needed to get some different eyes on it.

• FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    looking at the two pictures, I think that other guy did you a favor, you are guaranteed to be hired over him for the next time, and the time after. :)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    I agree with all of the others, and yours is WAY better !!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Ditto here.
    This is not a unique photo....been done.
    Your photo is better but really....not a fair comparison. Your model is smokin hot :).
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Lighting, composition and posing is way better in yours. I wouldn't sweat it; even if the other photographer saw your huge blown up photo in the store and thought to copy it, he'd not be able to say he's the official photographer for those photos. And +1 for getting more jobs bc the designer saw the difference between yours and that other photographer's images.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Like I said previously, just needed to get another pair of eyes on this to help me figure it out. I appreciate the comments.