Options

"Boutique Modeling": Any photographers dealt with it?

PRW_PhotoPRW_Photo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 20, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I received an email last night from a local mom who has her young (oldest is 4) daughters doing "boutique modeling". I did some digging online, and apparently online boutiques send clothes or accessories to the families, and the families are required to send photos of the child wearing the item to the boutique, who then uses them in their online catalog. The family gets to keep the clothes/accessories as their only payment. Apparently the ones really making the money are the online boutique modeling agencies that make the arrangements between the boutiques and the families. I know they are getting paid by the families, and I assume the boutiques are paying them also.

Anyway, this mom sees I shoot TF* ( time for prints, or time for CD), so she wants me to shoot some pics in less than 10 days. Not sure if she realizes that TF* is strictly for a model's portfolio, and not for commercial use. I'm not doing something like that for free. I would like to come back to her with counteroffer that might make sense.

Anyone (especially photographers) had any dealing with this "market"? What are the "normal" arrangements with photographers? Or is this just a racket to take advantage of all those pageant moms out there?

Thanks!

Paul Wossidlo
www.PaulRichardWossidlo.com

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    PRW_Photo wrote: »
    Anyone (especially photographers) had any dealing with this "market"? What are the "normal" arrangements with photographers? Or is this just a racket to take advantage of all those pageant moms out there?

This is a huge business in smaller markets. I can't say that all of them are a racket, although the ones that I have personally seen are. It ranks right up there with modeling schools. This is pretty much a no win situation. Any images you take will be sent to the stores and yes they will use them. Tracking them down to have the images removed takes time and by the time it happens they will onto the next set of images.

My suggestion is that you simply thank the parents for thinking of you for the photography and pass on the offer. If you decide that you want to shoot this for the practice or just for fun, slap a huge watermark across the middle of the shot, and charge to remove it.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    This is on the same level of check cashing schemes and work at home schemes. It's a really sneaky way to get great photos of cute kids in their clothes. Agree with the huge watermark. Tell them Sears likes to do that sort of stuff.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.
  • Options
    John HendryJohn Hendry Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    Would not go near this, sounds like a racket, stay as far away from it as you can.

All the bestthumb.gif
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    I don't have experience with this market, but I'd recommend you do just as you suggest above - tell the mother that TF* is for a models personal portfolio only, and knowing that these photographs will be used commercially, quote her as you would any other commercial shoot. You likely won't get the business, but at least she'll know where you stand. Be professional about it, no hurt feelings.