More Outdoor Practice - Nicole

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited August 20, 2011 in People
I've been through most of the shots taken that day and am going to bore you with some more. It amazes me how this girl can look so different depending on the pose, expression and lighting. She was fun to work with, except when the mosquitoes came calling.

Input very welcome.

6054034817_2c1f81faae_b.jpg
Nicloe by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6055459531_9c6e578233_b.jpg
Nicole by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6054160700_ee808a1b2a_b.jpg

6053726828_a4fdd6d910_b.jpg

6053875391_b882561709_b.jpg

6053229142_49861e6faa_b.jpg

The full set can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60399337@N06/sets/72157627325239961/

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Very nice! Not overly fond of 6 but the others are just fantastic.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    #'s 1 &3 do it for me! Nice work and very pretty model.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »

+1 clap.gif
    Canon Fan
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Hi Bryce.

First, tell Nicole that she lives somewhere beyond cute.mwink.gif

Like # 1 but it seems a bit soft to me (old) eyes. On the other hand, it's a perfect frame for a soft treatment so I assume you meant it. OR of course, that I'm going blind. Laughing.gif

# 2 is just OK to me but I LOOOVE 3 & 4

5&6 - not so much.

By the way, I spied on you and here's my absolute favorite
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60399337@N06/6050142047/in/photostream/

OOPS, just went back and this one also:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60399337@N06/6050691616/in/set-72157627325239961/

Nice job overall.thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    #1 & #3 do it for me. Try cropping #5 similar to #4. Contrats on lighitng and color, way to go.

Looking at some of the ones John picked you did a great job seeing that she appears to be slightly crossed eyed. That is tough to work with.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Nice overall and a solid set, but they are not jump out wow. One problem with 5 and 6 is the wardrobe. She has a body type that needs vertical stripes, not horizontal. These outfits maker her look bigger. 4 is your best shot. 2 and 3 she is competing with uninteresting backgrounds.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Little trick to try on #1 to improve the eyes. Flatten the layers, create a copy of the background layer, change the layer style to overlay, then click filter and high pass. Adjust the opacity way down (probably 30 - 40 percent). That will sharpen your whole photo so alt-backspace while clicking on the adjustment layer you just created. Then paint the sharpness onto her eyes. There are other ways to do this, but this one seems like it works pretty well.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Thank you very much!
    #'s 1 &3 do it for me! Nice work and very pretty model.
    Thanks!
    +1 clap.gif
    Thanks!
    Hi Bryce.

First, tell Nicole that she lives somewhere beyond cute.mwink.gif
    My brother-in-law looses sleep over that!:D

Like # 1 but it seems a bit soft to me (old) eyes. On the other hand, it's a perfect frame for a soft treatment so I assume you meant it. OR of course, that I'm going blind. Laughing.gif
    Your eyes are fine. I did soften it, maybe too much

# 2 is just OK to me but I LOOOVE 3 & 4
    Thanks!

5&6 - not so much.
    Could I ask why? I kinda like them.

By the way, I spied on you and here's my absolute favorite
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60399337@N06/6050142047/in/photostream/

OOPS, just went back and this one also:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60399337@N06/6050691616/in/set-72157627325239961/

Nice job overall.thumb.gif
    Thanks again!
    Hackbone wrote: »
    #1 & #3 do it for me. Try cropping #5 similar to #4. Contrats on lighitng and color, way to go.

Looking at some of the ones John picked you did a great job seeing that she appears to be slightly crossed eyed. That is tough to work with.

You caught that too. Really frustrating to me when I get a really nice shot and the eye problem ruins it. Thanks again Charles for all the time you take to help me improve. It is appreciated!
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Nice overall and a solid set, but they are not jump out wow. One problem with 5 and 6 is the wardrobe. She has a body type that needs vertical stripes, not horizontal. These outfits maker her look bigger. 4 is your best shot. 2 and 3 she is competing with uninteresting backgrounds.
    Wardrobe was her choice and I have yet to find a way to tell a young girl "That outfit you love so much makes you look"thick.":D

John68, when doing this shoot I played around with shutter speeds to see how it affected ambient light when combined with flash. Do you think this one (everything the same except for ss) lessens the "background competition"?
    6054381860_2631296577_b.jpg
    dogwood wrote: »
    Little trick to try on #1 to improve the eyes. Flatten the layers, create a copy of the background layer, change the layer style to overlay, then click filter and high pass. Adjust the opacity way down (probably 30 - 40 percent). That will sharpen your whole photo so alt-backspace while clicking on the adjustment layer you just created. Then paint the sharpness onto her eyes. There are other ways to do this, but this one seems like it works pretty well.

Thanks for the tip! I will certainly give it a try.

I processed one in B and W. I like it. Thoughts?
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gifFilter>Other>High Pass is my personal favorite sharpening technique. I find it the most versatile. For less sharpening effect try "soft light" blending mode and for more aggressive, "hard light" and "vivid light."
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    I like the second one better, but I think the better use of that background is the closeup.

I have found when photographing models and women in general, they want to hear when something makes them unflattering when it comes to doing photoshoots. These are shots that will be memories. You want them to look as best they can.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    I think 2 and 3 are my favorites. 2 would look better centered to my eye with some space on each side.
    Really like the lighting and setup in 3.
    These are better than your first outside set.
    Cute girl...looks like she was a lot of fun to shoot.
  • ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    #3 and 4 are great. I also kind of like #6.

Love the B&W you posted as well! Very beautiful model!
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    Another great set of this gal. I'm not sure where you live but this gal screams "Sweet Southern Bell" to me. So different and refreshing than the cookie-cutter stick figures you see out here in Los Angeles.

With that said, one John picked is my absolutely fav. This one here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6039933...n/photostream/

Great job.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited August 20, 2011
    Hi Bryce,

I apologize. I should never just say I don't like a frame without a why.ne_nau.gif

# 5 it appears to me that you missed the DOF. The window in the FG is way sharper than her face. The expression looks like she's sad (although on a second look, it's not that bad) and her arms are just hanging there, not doing anything.

# 6 - generally kind of nice idea but the expression is kind of meh and the (camera left) side of her face is a bit blown out on my monitor.

BY THE WAY - I like both in the second post and LOVE the B&W.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    edited August 20, 2011
    Hi Bryce,

I apologize. I should never just say I don't like a frame without a why.ne_nau.gif

# 5 it appears to me that you missed the DOF. The window in the FG is way sharper than her face. The expression looks like she's sad (although on a second look, it's not that bad) and her arms are just hanging there, not doing anything.

# 6 - generally kind of nice idea but the expression is kind of meh and the (camera left) side of her face is a bit blown out on my monitor.

BY THE WAY - I like both in the second post and LOVE the B&W.

Excellent point on the window John, it is pretty crisp compared to the subject. I may go back and try to blur it some. I dunno why but I just really like the expression and lighting on that shot so much I want to try and see what I can do with it.

Good points on six. I think I was so in love with the pose I failed to look at the techy stuff.

This is the last image I'm gonna post to this thread. I don't get to do the outdoor model thing at all (guess I'm not as charming as you guys that have the hotties lined up waiting for you to take pictures) but I was happy with the way this came out, except for the fact I wish her right foot would have been pointing out a bit so the heel was visible. Other than that, I don't think this looks like my 17 year old niece at all.

6063047021_58ef782a34_b.jpg
    Nicole On The Bridge by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
    edited August 20, 2011
    Let me be the first response to the latest image Bryce.

I LOVE IT.clap.gifclap

I don't care about her foot turn, about her being centered (she's framed nicely by the lead lines) or any other nit to pick.

There's just enough 17 year old attitude here and I don't blame your brother-in-law for staying up nights.mwink.gif
    edited August 20, 2011

I LOVE IT.clap.gifclap

I don't care about her foot turn, about her being centered (she's framed nicely by the lead lines) or any other nit to pick.

There's just enough 17 year old attitude here and I don't blame your brother-in-law for staying up nights.mwink.gif

Thanks bunches John. The attitude is what really makes me like this.

As the father of her 13 year old cousin, I have a feeling those sleepless nights are in my not too distant future.:cry Course, I won't let mamma buy HER dresses like THAT!
    edited August 20, 2011

I LOVE IT.clap.gifclap

zoomer wrote: »
    I think 2 and 3 are my favorites. 2 would look better centered to my eye with some space on each side.
    Really like the lighting and setup in 3.
    These are better than your first outside set.
    Cute girl...looks like she was a lot of fun to shoot.

Thanks Zoomer. I can't help but get a bit better. I just look at your stuff and then try to figure out how you did it!
    #3 and 4 are great. I also kind of like #6.

Love the B&W you posted as well! Very beautiful model!

Thanks FP. I think that B and W is my favorite of the entire session. Your comment cements it!
    Another great set of this gal. I'm not sure where you live but this gal screams "Sweet Southern Bell" to me. So different and refreshing than the cookie-cutter stick figures you see out here in Los Angeles.

With that said, one John picked is my absolutely fav. This one here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6039933...n/photostream/

Great job.

Thanks Cuban. I like that one a lot too. We're both from Michigan. 'Course if you looked under my avitar, you would have known that! :D Know what you mean about the girl-boy's of LA. I lived there for six months. I left before I killed someone. The 405 made the veins on my temples stand out way too far.