Options

Insurance

japoscjaposc Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 25, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
for indescribable reasons, I have not insured my equipment for the last two years. Now I'm starting to make a portion of my income with photography and realizing that I need to insure all of my equipment again and wondering if the Dgrin community has any ideas on worthwhile companies?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    there is insurance from Marsh (thru PPA), also Hill and Usher, Photo.Net has a reasonable insurance if you join them....I totally warn against any sort of rider on your homeowners policy....my experience was they refused to pay for stolen camera since I had been paid to shoot that night.......and that rider cost me over $150 for my gear.... there maybe other Insurance companies that do business policies...i think I have seen some on here say they use State Farm.........If you are working for money and have clients around at any time or are shooting in any sort of public place a good liability policy is needed....anything can happen and people are so danged quick to sue...so cover your butt well...$1M in libility is not very much if someone decides to sue...and the cost should be pretty low....try to bundle everything so you get discounts also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    there is insurance from Marsh (thru PPA), also Hill and Usher,

15524779-Ti.gif

Both are really good and provide the correct coverage for photographers.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    japoscjaposc Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2011
    Wow. I really appreciate the advice and such a speedy response. Thanks!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    My Pleasure....If I hate to see someone make the same mistakes I did.......it is really hard on the bank account if you have to replace something that got damaged or stolen...or to have to go thru a law suit (that I have not had to do and hope never too).........

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=194096

Take a look at this thread.
    I listed everything I learned when I decided I had to get insurance.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I have State Farm, Inland Marine Policy. $100 deductible costs me about $20/mo. That's for about $20k worth of insurance... Helps too that we have home/auto with them as well.. but something to consider.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I have State Farm, Inland Marine Policy. $100 deductible costs me about $20/mo. That's for about $20k worth of insurance... Helps too that we have home/auto with them as well.. but something to consider.
    Jim - you might want to check with State Farm. If you're using your equipment for commercial purposes, I'm not sure your policy will cover.