Options

S Curve - HOW?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 20, 2011 in People
I know what it is in a pose.

But HOW do you direct somebody to do that, simply? I know about the "weight on back foot", "shoot hip away from camera" and "if it bends, bend it" tricks but... how do you get a good S curve into somebody who doesn't know how to do it naturally?

Just wondering........... By all means point me to links if you know any - I've googled till I'm blue and haven't found one that explains HOW to elicit this staple of posing out of a subject!

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    This most likely wont help completely, but, I always tell the few adults that I do get to shoot that posing for a photo session is like golf. If it feels comfortable, your not doing it right. (this does indeed seem to work better for men)

Most people don't pose for a camera very often. I think the hardest thing for them to deal with is that the posing we want them to do doesn't feel comfortable them. In their mind, if if feels uncomfortable, it's going to look bad. The trick is to convince them that uncomfortable works in front of a camera.

I know this isn't really answering the question, but I really think it is a portion of the answer. I will leave the rest of the answer to folks with bunches more experience than I have.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    I find I have to do a lot of 'dancing' and demonstrate the poses I want, especially for women. Consequently, at home I often look like a total idiot as I try and practice in front of a mirror so I can effectively demonstrate for my clients.

I love those rare folks who just seem to be naturals!

Oh - and as a last resort, I bring out my dog. When someone is busy patting the dog (for a seated pose), they relax and I get my best facial expressions.

hmm - what to charge for the dog's services? :)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    S-Curve is a general concept, typically soght for in female portrature.
    Let me start by saying that a femal body provides a lot of S-curves all by itself.

However, when it comes to posing I find it most advantages get my subject into a semi-sitting/semi-laying position, as her to relax and get comfortable, and then carefully adjust a limb or two.

Take this image for example:

(model: Jessica)

734581543_CAjgs-L.jpg

How many different curves can you find here (I'm not talking about her own ones:-)?

Of course we can talk about more "in your face" curves approach, when you specifically ask your subject to "curve" her body to get that S:

(model: Carolena)

459450909_hDA6y-XL.jpg

or:

(model: Mina)

324001248_xHmWR-XL.jpg

Helped at all? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    I'm glad Nik mentioned getting comfortable. Honestly, I think only the experienced models can look good while being uncomfortable. I usually do give subjects an idea of what we are going for (angular, curvy, organic, etc.), but then I let them pose themselves. I tweak their poses a bit after they get relaxed. It does help to show them some shots sometimes.

I'd love to hear more tips from Nik.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    Well, aspiring models can look good while uncomfortable, too...:-)
    Essentially it's all in your and your subject's minds.
    So, if you can "see" the pose, verbalize it to your subject and your subject is willing to go for it, regardless of the associated discomfort/pain/danger - you'll get the shot! deal.gif
    Sorry, can't post samples here as they are all 18+ mwink.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    What works for me is putting on a pair of size 11 6-inch platform heels and throwing a feather boa around my neck and then striking "the pose". I then look at my victim... er... model with my "Blue Steal" expression and say... "This how we do this up in this BYATCH".
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    What works for me is putting on a pair of size 11 6-inch platform heels and throwing a feather boa around my neck and then striking "the pose". I then look at my victim... er... model with my "Blue Steal" expression and say... "This how we do this up in this BYATCH".

Wow! Just wow. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Nik, maybe you should start a new thread in Go Figure on posing.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    Nik, maybe you should start a new thread in Go Figure on posing.
    Laughing.gif, yeah, and have whole 1.9 people reading... I tried that with weekly assignements only to realize nobody wants to put even a slightest effort into them. And without an effort there is no growing... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011

bowdown.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    So this isn't a free resource (it was on the day it aired live--and it's the one and only course I've since purchased because it was so dang helpful), but so very much worth it: http://www.creativelive.com/courses/posing-and-lighting-bambi-cantrell The tips she gives on how to achieve a pose from someone without making them feel like they're posing were so simple and elegant, I was just in awe of how ingenious they were. If it isn't something you want to shell out the bucks for, you're welcome to come visit me at my house for an all-day viewing party. :D
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuh
    I now have this image stuck in my Headeek7.gif
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    Where are my manners? I never got back to this to thank everybody who posted (yes, even you Alex lol).

I still keep hoping for some tips on extracting a basic s-curve from even the most novice model (ie turn feet one way, hips another), but I guess maybe there isn't a simple formula.... ne_nau.gif

Working on it!! thumb.gif