Options

Smart galleries busted again?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TwoofyTwoofy Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    Yep that's my current problem.. I appreciate whats going on but for the life of me I cannot understand why posting on Dgrin gets development to work on said issues when I have been checking quite frequently with Steve and Andy hoping to get this resolved via email and nothing has moved. I honestly don't know how I am supposed to go about getting bugs fixed. It seems hit or miss most times.. Thanks for your help..

Hi David,

Can you test this and see if it works? I just pushed a change live that should fix it for you.

Posting on dgrin is not what got me involved in this. It was Steve, he has been relentless in trying to find a solution to this for you.

When he told me about the problem I knew that this was going to be one of those "interesting bugs" that there just are not enough hours in the day to fix, without turning everything else I am working on upside down. Turns out in this case I was mistaken, it was easier then expected (*sad face*).

...I will talk with Andy, Steve, and others about this....

- Greg
  • Options
    RuntscalRuntscal Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    Twoofy wrote: »
    Hello,

I need a bit more clarification here I think. So the gallery here:

http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/2011-Football-by-Player/18-Terry-Lightfoot/19314269_vjxPn3#1505537793_NMFgvQb

Has these smart gallery rules:

Include > My Photos > Keyword > 2011sgp10
    Include > My Photos > Keyword > 2011terrylightfoot

The image here: http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/Football-2011/Football-2011/19244366_WVhCg6#1515882890_NLzwm52

has the keyword "2011sgp18" - I would not expect it to show up in that smart gallery.

Is there something I'm missing or did I click something wrong?

- Greg

Well DUH -- that was my error -- I noticed that sometimes when I am entering my smart rules, SM tries to do an autopopulate that overrides what I just entered. I usually catch it -- but obviously in this case I either fatfingered or didn't catch the autopopulate.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2011
    Monica,

Since you seem able to reproduce this so easily, can you do something to create the failure in Test 3 but not do anything to fix it? If you can post the same details here I would be most appreciative. This may take a few iterations, so bare with me, I will probably need to enable some logging once I find the right code and have you try it again.

As long as you are willing to hang in there with me, I will stay with this until we figure it out.

David: I know you are having the same (or similar) problem. If it is different feel free to let me know, I'm not trying to exclude you or anything. I just don't need a lot of examples, but I do really appreciate the help you've given so far on this.

- Greg

YOU BET --- Thank YOU so much for devoting the time to this. I'll hang in there & provide whatever data as long as you need me to.

Twoofy Test 1 (Test 3 Example)

Newly created "smart gallery" with smart rule twoofytest1

http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/2011-Football-by-Player/TWOOFY-Test-Scenario-3/19415479_MXkQSw

smart rule added to keyword on pic here:

http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/Football-2011/Football-2011/19244366_WVhCg6#1501754117_XjML7NW

Accessed smart gallery -- but DID NOT resave/refresh rules --- shows as empty gallery & did not populate from access ONLY. Keyword/smart rule indexing showed to be complete before I accessed the smart gallery to check for population of pic.

Let me know what else you need to see.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2011

Love it -- I wonder how much time & money was spent on that research! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2011
    Runtscal wrote: »
    YOU BET --- Thank YOU so much for devoting the time to this. I'll hang in there & provide whatever data as long as you need me to.

Twoofy Test 1 (Test 3 Example)

Newly created "smart gallery" with smart rule twoofytest1

http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/2011-Football-by-Player/TWOOFY-Test-Scenario-3/19415479_MXkQSw

smart rule added to keyword on pic here:

http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/Football-2011/Football-2011/19244366_WVhCg6#1501754117_XjML7NW

Accessed smart gallery -- but DID NOT resave/refresh rules --- shows as empty gallery & did not populate from access ONLY. Keyword/smart rule indexing showed to be complete before I accessed the smart gallery to check for population of pic.

Let me know what else you need to see.

When I go to http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/2011-Football-by-Player/TWOOFY-Test-Scenario-3/19415479_MXkQSw I see the image in that smart gallery.

The thing is that the "indexing" is basically adding your keywords to our database. It is not regenerating the smart galleries. The keywords get added then the smart galleries that the keyword affect get added to a queue. A process then pulls from that queue (first-in, first-out) which then updates the smart galleries, so there is a lag from the time the keywords are indexed and the affected smart galleries get updated. But, that process (with the work I did a few months back) should always reliably populate the smart galleries.

The issue with it showing "empty gallery" should be fixed too with the fix I did around 5:00am this morning. Though it will show as empty until after the smart gallery queue has been processed for that album.

Does that make sense and if so, does it correlate with what you are seeing or is there something else going on?

- Greg
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2011
    When I go to http://www.monicamanning.com/Sports/2011-Football-by-Player/TWOOFY-Test-Scenario-3/19415479_MXkQSw I see the image in that smart gallery.

The thing is that the "indexing" is basically adding your keywords to our database. It is not regenerating the smart galleries. The keywords get added then the smart galleries that the keyword affect get added to a queue. A process then pulls from that queue (first-in, first-out) which then updates the smart galleries, so there is a lag from the time the keywords are indexed and the affected smart galleries get updated. But, that process (with the work I did a few months back) should always reliably populate the smart galleries.

The issue with it showing "empty gallery" should be fixed too with the fix I did around 5:00am this morning. Though it will show as empty until after the smart gallery queue has been processed for that album.

Does that make sense and if so, does it correlate with what you are seeing or is there something else going on?

- Greg

Thanks much for the update. I can see the image in the "smart gallery" now as well. Can the queue take days? I've had smart galleries sitting waiting to be populated over 24 & 48 hours in the past. However, that type of lag may have been fixed with a prior update. I suspect that as more users have begun to use the smart gallery function, the queues have increased.

Question:

Why if the data is in a "first in, first out" queue can I refresh/resave and get it to populate immediately rather than letting it sit. Does that refresh/resave action cause it to bump "up" in the queue?

I will re-test and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. I have alot of pics to enter & code -- so I'll know pretty quick.

OKAY --- did some testing and ALL SEEMS to BE WORKING! Thanks so much & I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the last post for this issue.

Additional info --further testing

Test 1 - tested the auto populate timing for 2 brand new smart galleries using 2 pics that had no prior smart rule/keyword coding. Populated in less than 3 min
    Test 2 - tested the auto populate timing for 2 brand new smart galleries using 2 pics (1 without prior coding & 1 with prior coding. Conclusion: both populated in less than 3 min)
    Test 3 - tested the auto populate against refresh/resave for 2 brand new smart galleries using 2 pics (both without prior coding).
    Twoofy7 - entered prior to twoofy8
    Twoofy8 - refresh/resave initiated -- populated immediately
    Test 4 - tested the auto populate timing for an existing smart gallery with pics already in it --- Populated within a few minutes.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2011
    Thanks much for the update. I can see the image in the "smart gallery" now as well. Can the queue take days? I've had smart galleries sitting waiting to be populated over 24 & 48 hours in the past. However, that type of lag may have been fixed with a prior update. I suspect that as more users have begun to use the smart gallery function, the queues have increased.

Question:

Why if the data is in a "first in, first out" queue can I refresh/resave and get it to populate immediately rather than letting it sit. Does that refresh/resave action cause it to bump "up" in the queue?

I will re-test and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. I have alot of pics to enter & code -- so I'll know pretty quick.

OKAY --- did some testing and ALL SEEMS to BE WORKING! Thanks so much & I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the last post for this issue.

Additional info --further testing

Test 1 - tested the auto populate timing for 2 brand new smart galleries using 2 pics that had no prior smart rule/keyword coding. Populated in less than 3 min
    Test 2 - tested the auto populate timing for 2 brand new smart galleries using 2 pics (1 without prior coding & 1 with prior coding. Conclusion: both populated in less than 3 min)
    Test 3 - tested the auto populate against refresh/resave for 2 brand new smart galleries using 2 pics (both without prior coding).
    Twoofy7 - entered prior to twoofy8
    Twoofy8 - refresh/resave initiated -- populated immediately
    Test 4 - tested the auto populate timing for an existing smart gallery with pics already in it --- Populated within a few minutes.

I would have to dig into the code to figure out if update the smart gallery would cause a refresh. I can imagine that it might - because seems like it could potentially be a computationally easier problem. If I were writing the code I'd probably have considered doing an optimization like this.

When you are modifying or adding a smart gallery, we can quickly go through your images and find all the ones that match. But, when you add a keyword to an image we have to go through each album and see if it matches and for any that do rebuild each of them.

Does that make sense? Again, I'm not saying the code actually does work this way - but I can imagine it might be the case.

As for it taking days - that should not happen. But you might have caught it at either a very heavy time or we had the queue proccessing down for maintenance.

Glad everything is working for ya'..

- Greg
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2011
    Hi David,

Can you test this and see if it works? I just pushed a change live that should fix it for you.

Posting on dgrin is not what got me involved in this. It was Steve, he has been relentless in trying to find a solution to this for you.

When he told me about the problem I knew that this was going to be one of those "interesting bugs" that there just are not enough hours in the day to fix, without turning everything else I am working on upside down. Turns out in this case I was mistaken, it was easier then expected (*sad face*).

...I will talk with Andy, Steve, and others about this....

- Greg

Greg,

Thanks so much, I honestly am not sure this is repaired because all of my galleries have something in them but, will do a test gallery for you tommorrow (Monday) evening to test.. Thanks so much, Smart Galleries and coding are really important to me..
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    How do you code your keywords?? I use photomechanic and code replacement before uploading. Do you keywords after uploading??

Yes --- I handcode after uploading.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    I would have to dig into the code to figure out if update the smart gallery would cause a refresh. I can imagine that it might - because seems like it could potentially be a computationally easier problem. If I were writing the code I'd probably have considered doing an optimization like this.

When you are modifying or adding a smart gallery, we can quickly go through your images and find all the ones that match. But, when you add a keyword to an image we have to go through each album and see if it matches and for any that do rebuild each of them.

Does that make sense? Again, I'm not saying the code actually does work this way - but I can imagine it might be the case.

As for it taking days - that should not happen. But you might have caught it at either a very heavy time or we had the queue proccessing down for maintenance.

Glad everything is working for ya'..

- Greg

Makes sense - It seems that all is operating as it should -- thanks again for dedicating the time to work through this -- it is really appreciated. Monica
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    Yes --- I handcode after uploading.

Check this out, it may save you a lot of time, I would not do player number galleries without it..

http://news.smugmug.com/2011/09/26/photog-tip-of-the-week-sell-smarter-with-smart-galleries-by-david-evertsen/
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    Check this out, it may save you a lot of time, I would not do player number galleries without it..

http://news.smugmug.com/2011/09/26/photog-tip-of-the-week-sell-smarter-with-smart-galleries-by-david-evertsen/
    Interesting. Didn't know there was such a thing. I wonder how this is different than using windows shortcut actions for each player and just use the mass keywording tool in Smugmug? headscratch.gif I'm going to have a super-massive keywording job in front of me when I go back and keyword almost 200,000 photos.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011

Wow - thanks so much for sharing -- I'll definitely check this out...mlm
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    Hi David,

I just had a lengthy discussion with Steve about this. This is not the same problem we were having before where the smart galleries are not getting updated (and Monica's "Test 3"). Since its different, I wanted to tell you what is going on and let you know we're thinking of a scalable solution to it.

So, when you upload images that are going to be placed in a smart gallery we clear out the DB row that tells the smart gallery which images are inside it. Then we update the images the next time someone accesses the smart gallery. This presents a problem when viewing the album (especially for a newly created smart gallery) because it will show "Empty Gallery" until someone clicks it.

I just want to make sure that this describes the problem you are having - do I have it right?

- Greg

Hi Greg,

It seems that all is well, I don't have any galleries showing no pictures when they should. This appears to be taken care of. Thanks so much you really have no idea how much I appreciate this!!
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Sweet! Greg does it again. iloveyou.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifthumb.gifwings.gif :ivar bowdown.gifbow
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!