Is this pose acceptable?

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited August 21, 2011 in People

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    I wouldn't call this "a pose"; it's more like a "framing/lighting".
    The answer depends on what you're looking for...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I wouldn't call this "a pose"; it's more like a "framing/lighting".
    The answer depends on what you're looking for...ne_nau.gif

Thanks for correction.

I think you put forward more appropriately. So I'd like to ask is the framing and lighting acceptable?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    david-low wrote: »
    Thanks for correction.

I think you put forward more appropriately. So I'd like to ask is the framing and lighting acceptable?

I'm not sure I understand the question... "Acceptable".. as in? You were obviously going for some artistic goal, it can't be measured by the rule of thirds and rembrandt lighting pattern...

In general "quality" aspect all I can say it's not "cover-ready". ne_nau.gif
    Most and formost it's not clear what you were going for... Face? Jewelry? headscratch.gif
    The only thing in focus is her cheek, which has no details and no possible interest for a viewer. The rest is OOF and makes the image look kinda soft.. ne_nau.gif

Check out the "C Theory": http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=183153. It may help...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the question... "Acceptable".. as in? You were obviously going for some artistic goal, it can't be measured by the rule of thirds and rembrandt lighting pattern...

In general "quality" aspect all I can say it's not "cover-ready". ne_nau.gif
    Most and formost it's not clear what you were going for... Face? Jewelry? headscratch.gif
    The only thing in focus is her cheek, which has no details and no possible interest for a viewer. The rest is OOF and makes the image look kinda soft.. ne_nau.gif

Check out the "C Theory": http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=183153. It may help...
    Thanks so much for your comments. I find this portrait is something quite different from my other portraiture shots and I always look for something not repeating. I went for a slight soft focusing and also not an intentional jewelry shot. But since she was wearing jewelry, I gave it a glow.

You can say I went for some artistic appeal which you rightly pointed out its hard to measure. Perhaps the most 2 important person to ask is whether the client or myself like it. Notwithstanding that, just to seek opinion has it got an appeal in general? Maybe a scale of 1 to 5 (being the highest) ??