Options

Camera Problems+ Toothpicks = Help Wanted!!

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
edited August 22, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
ACK!!

I been so busy these last two weeks that I haven't had time to even think about the toothpick challenge, so of course here I am at the last minute trying to put something together and I think I have a problem with my camera. :cry

All of my pictures now have a black bar across the bottom. The first group of pics I took today didn't have it and it actually appeared when I swapped lenses. So....first thought was something was wrong with my 50mm macro lens. So, I went back to my 'regular' 14-54 lens, but...same problem. So, then I thought my memory card was bad and I switched it out. Still have the same problem.

OK, now I'm really not happy.

Now I am asking my friends here at dGrin for help in two areas--on my toothpick idea and also what the heck can be wrong with my camera??? (It is an Olympus E-520 btw, and it's maybe 2 years old.)

#1--am I even on the right track with this idea?? I'm thinking "Odd Man Out" or "There's one in Every Crowd" or something like that. I have played with different compositions & haven't hit on the 'right' one yet. I might be able to talk my daughter into letting me use her camera to reshoot.

#2--What is causing the black bar at the bottom of the image?

Here it is: Odd Man Out or There's One in Every Crowd
i-zTrbc3b-L.jpg

This is unedited at the moment. I'm more concerned with my camera problem than doing any post work . I might be able to crop this one & still use it, but that doesn't fix my camera.

I appreciate any advice you folks can give me. I'm trying not to panic just yet.....

Thanks,
Sherry

Comments

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Looks like a flash sync problem. Are you using an external flash?
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    I think Froch is right - try lowering your shutter speed to 1/125 or lower (notice that picture above is at 1/400). Basically what is happening is that the shutter is opening and closing faster than the speed of your flash firing. I don't have experience with high-speed sync, but do know that on my Nikon if I shoot with a shutter speed faster than 1/160 I also get similar results.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    Ok, thanks Froch & Adam.

Yes, I am using external flash. Never had this problem with it before, but it makes sense. I will dial down to 160 & try again.

Thanks so much. Even though I'm feeling a little dumb right now, I am quite pleased to know that my camera isn't broken!!

ps: Is the idea worth pursuing???

Sherry
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    slpollett wrote: »
    Ok, thanks Froch & Adam.

Yes, I am using external flash. Never had this problem with it before, but it makes sense. I will dial down to 160 & try again.

Thanks so much. Even though I'm feeling a little dumb right now, I am quite pleased to know that my camera isn't broken!!

ps: Is the idea worth pursuing???

Sherry

That should be the issue. Your camera's max sync speed is 1/180
    easy specs are here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564504-REG/Olympus_262085_E_520_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    Thanks again, Froch. That makes two things I learned today. :D

Sherry
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    I'm glad you got it figured out. I think the idea is worth pursuing, but I think you should play with the angle a bit. And maybe lay the toothpicks out in various formations.
  • Options
    PhotoMusePhotoMuse Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    If it is not a flash sync problem, then it may be the secondary mirror having issues. I had this problem when I used to shoot with a canon and had to send it in for repairs. The mirror pin gave out so the mirror was not flipping all the way up out of the way... This always left the bottom half of the photo black. I hope it is just a flash sync issue though.... Best of luck working it out.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    I think it was a flash sync problem. I never would have thought of that, so I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks WhatSheSaw for the help with the idea. I shot more last night from various angles but haven't had time to download them to look at them yet. I hope to have time this evening after work.

Thanks again, everybody.

Sherry