Options

How many photos do you offer the client?

geoles2geoles2 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited August 22, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Let me ask all you pro's this question - How many photos, proofs do you offer the client.

For example you do a senior shoot, parents wanting their child shot etc. And lets say you take 400 pics, or whatever. Do you guys then get that down to the best 50? or 25 or 15 to show the client for possible purchase?

Thanks, for the help!!

George

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    This should be discussed with the client prior to the shoot.
    I know that a bunch of photographers are still trying the old method of low sitting fees and relying on print sales to make money, so the number of proofs must remain high.

Our studio doesn't make money on prints, so we don't take a lot of images. Our normal senior portrait session is 25 to 40 shots. The client sees them all and can order prints at our cost through our website.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    For senior portrait sessions, I let them know there'll be between 40-50 proofs. On average, I take about 300 shots and I pick the best of those to show as proofs.

And I make it a point to tell the client beforehand how many images to expect. I tell them this during their consult, it's in my website info, and I remind them at the end of the session. That way it's clear they aren't going to see all 300 images and they're not asking me, "Well, what about this pose I know you shot? Why isn't it there?" I tell them it's my job to save them time and to only show them the very best of the best.

For family portraits I offer 20-30 proofs (depends on the size of the family and if there are individual portraits along with the group photos).
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com