Minimalist landscape

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited August 24, 2011 in Landscapes

Comments

• HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    I really like the black and white treatment for this shot. I can really feel the look you were going for. The middle for me though is just too blown out. One of the things I'm personally trying to be more conscious of in my own photography is how the eye moves around the picture. With this shot, my eye grabs on to the huge bright point int the center, but sorta gets stuck there. The curve of the beach is fantastic at leading me into the frame, but the middle I just get stuck.

For me if the middle could have continued some of the great texture from the clouds, this would have been spot on! Good work.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Helvegr wrote: »
    I really like the black and white treatment for this shot. I can really feel the look you were going for. The middle for me though is just too blown out. One of the things I'm personally trying to be more conscious of in my own photography is how the eye moves around the picture. With this shot, my eye grabs on to the huge bright point int the center, but sorta gets stuck there. The curve of the beach is fantastic at leading me into the frame, but the middle I just get stuck.

For me if the middle could have continued some of the great texture from the clouds, this would have been spot on! Good work.

Thanks Helvegr, very much appreciate your comments.

Actually I have intentionally made a brighter spot in the middle of the horizon. I did push it so that its still consider slightly below blown (I hope). I did that for added interest, otherwise I felt a curve beach and a plain horizon are towards ordinary.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Very nice shot David. Really like the composition and light.
    I do agree with Helvegr that the bright spot really grabs the eye and holds it there.
    edited August 22, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I do agree with Helvegr that the bright spot really grabs the eye and holds it there.

Thanks Eoren,

So its a good or bad thing?
    edited August 22, 2011
    That's up to you mwink.gif
    If it is your intention to hold the viewer's eye in the middle of the frame it works very well
    If you prefer to have the viewer's eye explore the coast and horizon then wander off to the clouds, it detracts
    edited August 22, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    That's up to you mwink.gif
    If it is your intention to hold the viewer's eye in the middle of the frame it works very well
    If you prefer to have the viewer's eye explore the coast and horizon then wander off to the clouds, it detracts

Thanks again. I pefer getting "stuck there".
    edited August 22, 2011
    I've come back to this photo five times now...I think that means you're right. Works very well to grab the eye and hold it there. thumb.gif
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    very nice shot and beautifully composed.