Eastern US Earthquake

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited August 23, 2011 in The Big Picture
I was sitting at my desk, actually doing some work on my Smug site. It lasted for... mm, 30 seconds? It's said to be 5.8-6.0 magnitude, somewhere in there. Felt from VA, all the way up to NY. Epicenter was here in VA, about halfway down the state. Everyone okay?

Looks like Bryan felt it in Pennsylvania.

Edit: I think some cell phone service is down too.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    Currently calling it a 5.9. Felt it VERY strongly in northern MD, although no obvious damage where we are. Shaken, but not stirred (yet!)...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 23, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Shaken, but not stirred
    rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    Glad to amuse lol3.gif

Weird thing for me is that I lived in LA for 15 years and the biggest quake for me there was a 4.9. Not only did this have greater magnitude, but it felt COMPLETELY different - not the same kind of motion at all. I thought at first it was the shockwave from a bomb blast rather than a quake... Weird.

Reports are coming in that the Nat'l Cathedral has been damaged, as well as possibly some parts of historic DC and Annapolis.

Hoping the aftershocks aren't too strong............
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    divamum wrote:
    Felt it VERY strongly in northern MD, although no obvious damage where we are.

Same here. The chief stonemason for the National Cathedral is a personal friend of mine, hopefully he can give me some info.