rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited August 29, 2011 in Street and Documentary
i-LbC6X7r-XL.jpg

i-RQs6Rgj-XL.jpg

i-hrqdZPx-XL.jpg

i-9PnHJ5h-XL.jpg

i-XKhr55N-XL.jpg

i-3G2wB2Z-XL.jpg

All shots taken with a 135 mm on a 40 D (216 mm equivalent on 35 mm)

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    The last one (#6) for me!

There's something captivating about the boy's cap and him slurping a soda just like a kid with unbounded curiosity, leading my eye to the triangle of light. If only that pesky set of blurry fingers weren't there..... Otherwise, I really like what you've done with this one.
  • Options
    Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    1 3 and 5 for me, I have just got into B&W and playing with Silver efex Pro. Can you confirm how you converted your shots?
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I think this is an interesting series Rainbow. Were you static or in motion taking these shots? I agree with Scott re #6 being my fav. It's the one that extends the story beyond just sniping people at a slight distance.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 24, 2011
    Nice set. 1 and 4 don't grab me, but I like rest.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I agree with michswiss--that last one is a nice storyteller.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    The last one (#6) for me!

There's something captivating about the boy's cap and him slurping a soda just like a kid with unbounded curiosity, leading my eye to the triangle of light. If only that pesky set of blurry fingers weren't there..... Otherwise, I really like what you've done with this one.
    redleash wrote: »
    I agree with michswiss--that last one is a nice storyteller.

Thanks! Interesting that the one color shot, without the face showing, is so well-liked (by me, too).
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    Chris02 wrote: »
    1 3 and 5 for me, I have just got into B&W and playing with Silver efex Pro. Can you confirm how you converted your shots?

Thanks. I have seen some very well done b/w shots done on that software.

I recently acquired Lightroom 3. In the develop module, I hit the "Black and White" button. Then I work my way down the sliders from top to bottom: recovery, blacks (hold the "ALT" key with these two), fill light, and brightness. Occasionally, I use the highlight and contrast sliders and exposure slider (if I missed on the exposure). Rarely, I will use a color slider to play with adjusting one color. Occasional sharpening and noise sliders used...

I try to pay particular attention to the blacks and finding the "grey" skintone that I like.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice set. 1 and 4 don't grab me, but I like rest.

Thanks.

#1 was actually one of my favorite because of the matter-of-fact sharing of the beverage while their attention was together on something unseen.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    michswiss wrote: »
    I think this is an interesting series Rainbow. Were you static or in motion taking these shots? I agree with Scott re #6 being my fav. It's the one that extends the story beyond just sniping people at a slight distance.

I had mentioned in your "complicit portrait" thread that I had tried a telephoto recently (which these are). These were shot while walking the three blocks (so "in motion") back to the BART subway in SF.

After taking and viewing these, I decided that I did not really like sniping. Why? Because I feel totally detached from the shots, whether good or bad. It was something seen at a distance and I had no interaction with the shot other than spotting it and snapping it. This is contrasted with my usual use of a wide angle (often 17mm - 40 or 24 - 70 or -105) where I have to get in their face and feel their physical presence. In these, other senses (smell, hearing...) are engaged and I have more ownership of the shot as I recall them viscerally as well as visually.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    michswiss wrote: »

I agree with Jennifer. #6 is the real "street photograph." Doing street with a long lens can work, but it only works well when you're in a place where half the people around you are carrying cameras. St. Augustine is one of those places and so are most tourist towns during the season. The rest of the time you'd better carry something small if you hope to get real street photographs as opposed to pictures of people on the street.
  • Options
    Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    Many thanks for the breakdown of your work-flow, I'll be playing with some of my own shots. Also have to agree re no 1 there just seems to be an acceptance that she will hold the drink, says something about their relationship.
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 26, 2011
    Excellent shots, Rainbow. I dig the comps. Sorry to hear you didn't like "sniping", but I love the shallow DOF and clarity of these shots.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    I agree with Jennifer. #6 is the real "street photograph." Doing street with a long lens can work, but it only works well when you're in a place where half the people around you are carrying cameras. St. Augustine is one of those places and so are most tourist towns during the season. The rest of the time you'd better carry something small if you hope to get real street photographs as opposed to pictures of people on the street.

Downtown SF also has cameras everywhere. #6 likely works best with this long lens because the lights of the BART train add the context/setting. Otherwise, the people being shot have to be interesting enough to carry the shot, which rarely happens. I was deliberately trying the long lens sniping and will return to my wide angles.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Excellent shots, Rainbow. I dig the comps. Sorry to hear you didn't like "sniping", but I love the shallow DOF and clarity of these shots.

The "bokeh" and subject isolation on the 135L is wonderful -- love the quality of shots from this lens. But, alas, for street, I will return to getting up close and personal with a wide angle lens.

Thanks!