Bad pixel in my sensor?

fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited August 25, 2011 in Cameras
Just recently noticed a consistent spot in all my recent photos taken with my D200 which is only a couple of years old and has just over 4k actuations. Here's a photo with the spot circled.

6075351964_e784ef3283_b.jpg

If this is a bad sensor, any advice on what to do next? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    Looks like a hot pixel, did you shoot this image under high ISO and/or hot env. temps?
  • fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    Looks like a hot pixel, did you shoot this image under high ISO and/or hot env. temps?
    ISO was only 200, but it was above 90º in bright sun and near noon. I do remember the camera body being much warmer than I'd prefer, but you gotta go where the wildlife is. If warm temps are the cause, would shading the camera as much as possible reduce/eliminate the effect?
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I'm not sure what software you use, but if it is a hot pixel, Camera Raw (which I use) automatically maps them out. You wouldn't believe how many hot pixels my 1DII had shooting fireworks this past July. But ACR did all the work for me.
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    You could clone it out as well. It is possibly a stuck pixel. Try shooting a photo with the lens cap on, you will need to set it to manual focus. It will show up like a sore thumb in the blackness. If it doesnt show up when the camera is cool try it when it is warmer and see if you get a hot pixel. This will tell you if it is a heat issue.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/