nikon's announcement

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited August 26, 2011 in Cameras
the big aug 24th announcements...for coolpix cameras. what a let down.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Not if you're a coolpix fan (I think they are 2 or 3 of them).

I'm not all that surprised. The disasters in Japan were a major blow. Nikon's updates on its DSLR line have always been measured. The new cameras will come out in the next 6 months or so and we all will get crazy then. Hopefully the wait will be worth it and we will get real improvements as opposed to a bunch of new features that have no impact on IQ.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I'm just afeared the wife will find my stash in the cookie jar and spend it on junk like food or summat before Nikon brings out the next gottahave.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I don't care, I am still enjoying my D700!
    edited August 25, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    I don't care, I am still enjoying my D700!

Its is rough I wil have to find a way to put up with me D3s, D3 and the D300 until the new cameras come out. Just don't know how I will do it.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Its is rough I wil have to find a way to put up with me D3s, D3 and the D300 until the new cameras come out. Just don't know how I will do it.

Thats a nice spot to be in Harry, I am still with a D 200, I am really dissapointed we did not get news of a D 800 this week.
    edited August 25, 2011
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Thats a nice spot to be in Harry, I am still with a D 200, I am really dissapointed we did not get news of a D 800 this week.

Its a-coming. Just sit back, wait, and stash away some $. Hopefully the new bad boys will have some real improvements rather than be crammed full of "features".
    Harry
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I really hope the new d800 can do 1080p 24,30,50i,60i frames per second video as well as full aperture control while in video mode. Also better moire control and less jello from rolling shutter. In picture mode 24mb, greater dynamic range, better iso,. Got the money and ready to buy!
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I figure the new Dslrs will come out just prior to Christmas. I dont care if they have video, I would actually prefer they dont. I would like to see improvement in the Dynamic range where it holds the same across the native ISOs. I would also love to see them offer DNG as one of the RAW formats but I know that one is a pipe dream.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 25, 2011
    Like Harry says, they're coming. Just stay away from the "rumor" sites and you'll all be better off.

As it is the Nikon P7100 premium compact looks interesting. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I guess I don't have the $$ now anyway. They can wait for now. I will be ready later.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    I really hope the new d800 can do 1080p 24,30,50i,60i frames per second video as well as full aperture control while in video mode. Also better moire control and less jello from rolling shutter. In picture mode 24mb, greater dynamic range, better iso,. Got the money and ready to buy!

I hope the D800 also can clean my toilet too!
    I really don't care about video on the higher end DSLR's.
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    The video feature is so cool, it has opened up filmmaking to the masses. Check out some of the film shorts I just made with the Nikon D7000 (it is a wonderful camera).
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NYCFilmmakersGroup
    I am still learning the camera and the art of filmmaking, but I love the video portion of the Nikon and I think more photographers should look into it as well. Photographers bring in a sense of composition, lighting, color correction, etc.
    I am hoping the next Nikon will expand on the video features and like it or not, video is here to stay.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    video is here to stay.

... so are bedbugs!

got nothing against video, even video in dslrs, just don't want it in *my* camera. I want real photography things in my camera, like better sensor technology for higher resolution, and low light, both with "naturally" less noise. sensors which can make use of glass under f2, and with larger dynamic range. hardware tech improvements, not fiddling with algorithms

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    ... so are bedbugs!

got nothing against video, even video in dslrs, just don't want it in *my* camera. I want real photography things in my camera, like better sensor technology for higher resolution, and low light, both with "naturally" less noise. sensors which can make use of glass under f2, and with larger dynamic range. hardware tech improvements, not fiddling with algorithms

Neil

I realize that video is here to stay, I just wish they would make as many still improvements as they're making with video. Maybe they could split up their R&D staff, half works on still improvements, half works on video. Video is a big moneymaker, but think of us still photogs too, Canikon!
    edited August 26, 2011
    Video is cool in video cameras. If I wanted to do videos I would go out and buy a video camera. However as a child I was subjected to hours of mind numbing, yawn inducing and at times horrifyingly bad home videos.. The one of my 300lb Aunt Elsie on the beach in Hawaii will stay with me forever. I made a solemn promise never to inflict such pain on future generations.

I want my camera to take photographs. I don't want to pay for extraneous features that have nothing to do with the process of taking pictures. Give me wider dynamic range, better low light capabilities, & faster and more accurate AF,
    Harry
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Well, Harry, if Aunt Elsie were 6'10" that might have been a sight to see. Otherwise, I feel your pain.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited August 26, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Well, Harry, if Aunt Elsie were 6'10" that might have been a sight to see. Otherwise, I feel your pain.

5'1" when she stood upright which wasn't very often. I was reaching for a #2 pencil to poke out my eyes when my mom stopped me.
    Harry
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    The video features don't seem to add to the cost of the cameras as far as I can tell.