Outdoor family photos

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited August 30, 2011 in People
Just returned from a family trip to Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon. A few of these were taken with a 14-24mm lens which can be struggle with portraits.

Here's a sample of a few portraits:

1. The whole gang at Bryce
73111-19-L.jpg

2. Evan taking a break during one of our rides
8111-1-L.jpg

3. My wife hiking down into the Grand Canyon on the Kaibob Trail
8211-17-L.jpg

4. Stefanie enjoying the moment at Grand Canyon
8211-26-L.jpg

5. Angel's Landing summit at Zion
8411-12-L.jpg

6. My new wallpaper
8411-10-L.jpg

7. The kids back at our hotel in Zion
8411-13-L.jpg

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Looks like a fun trip. Very nice looking family and great scenery.

Hope you didn't litter in MY canyon! :D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Looks like a fun trip. Very nice looking family and great scenery.

Hope you didn't litter in MY canyon! :D

Hah! Leave no trace. mwink.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    It's MY canyon and I have no doubt he left without a trace. I really like the first one and the one of your wife by the sign, I like how the sun hits her hat full on, and the sky is so bright and her face looks great!!Not an easy task.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    great keepsakes from an amazing trip. what struggle?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • emibennettemibennett Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2011
    Scary though on the 5th picture.
    edited August 25, 2011
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    It's MY canyon and I have no doubt he left without a trace. I really like the first one and the one of your wife by the sign, I like how the sun hits her hat full on, and the sky is so bright and her face looks great!!Not an easy task.

Thanks, Trudy. I've finally broken down and stopped carrying my D3 when I go on these family hikes and trips. I take the D700 and have learned to use the pop up flash for fill when needed. Not ideal, but it saves a lot of these types of photos. It's great for me to not have to carry around that heavy pro-body AND an SB800 when I'm hiking or biking.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    WOw, your family is adorable! Great shots from one of my favorite places. :)
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    I know how HARD it is to shoot in this area, and I think these are GREAT family shots! :-)
    Canon Fan
  • 0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    Great shots, I so want to visit Bryce!
  • delizdeliz Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    These are fantastic. Your images bring back the emotion of our trip 2 years ago. Zion, hands down is one our entire family's favorite places. No. AZ Southern Utah easily the most beautiful places on Earth.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    1st shot is killer!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Mitch...

If you could only go to one place for two days, thinking from a photographers point of view, which would you go to : Zion, Grand Canyon, or Bryce?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited August 30, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    1st shot is killer!

Thanks, I'm thinking holiday card for that one this year.
  • SyphoniusSyphonius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Great shots. The only time we hit those 3 was when my boy was 8 months old (and he still thinks he was named after the canyon). Can't wait to go back.

And just tossing out my 2 cents, I think I prefer Bryce for photos.
    Just a hobbyist with never enough time to shoot.
    SmugMug
    edited August 30, 2011
    Mitch...

If you could only go to one place for two days, thinking from a photographers point of view, which would you go to : Zion, Grand Canyon, or Bryce?

Alex, that's a no brainer for me. My entire family liked Zion over Bryce and the Grand Canyon.

Bryce was spectacular. The sunrise photo I took at Bryce was my favorite shot of the entire trip.

73111-31-M.jpg

Bryce is very unique with the hoodoos and interesting hiking. But, there is no water in Bryce which made it a little less appealing from a photographic standpoint than Zion.

We only went to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The lodge there is fantastic and built into the side of the canyon of canyon stone. But, the Grand Canyon is just so massive, that I still cannot wrap my brain around the expanse. The skies were a bit hazy. As a photographer, I often stood and looked at the Grand Canyon wondering why I would even bother to try and take a picture which would never do justice the the scenery.

8211-24-M.jpg

Zion was spectacular and small enough to be almost intimate. You also have the beautiful Virgin River running through the park which offers lots of photographic opportunities. You and your wife will both love the iconic Angel's Landing hike. The hike through the Narrows offers a chance to hike upstream with beautiful canyon walls on either side. The emerald pools are an easy walk to some nice little falls with some greenery. It also has a quaint little town, Springdale, with some pretty good eateries.

Hiking the Narrows:
    8311-3-M.jpg

Let me know what you decide.
  • Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Cuban, I concur with Mitchell regarding the parks. That hike up the Virgin River is something you'll never forget.
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Z6I wrote: »
    Cuban, I concur with Mitchell regarding the parks. That hike up the Virgin River is something you'll never forget.

^ X 2
    Y.
    thumb.gif