DS29627-XL.jpg

3)
DS29495-Version-2-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Not sure about this set ne_nau.gif

#1 seems like I should focus on the ladies hands but for me theres not enough of them.

#2 she seems lost in thought but other then that ...............

#3 I feel should of been closer / I always need to work on that one myself. I admit to getting a kick out of the "Football, Melbourne, Dining out Sign. :D
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Personally I think 1 and 3 are great. I do agree that number 2 is lacking interest for me, however.

3, in particular, is very nice. I wonder if the man might be a serial killer or the like. The distance from the subject, which captures the normality which surrounds him, does well to emphasize my curiosity.
    Travis
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    #1 also misses for me.

#3 is of greatest interest with a lot of little things to observe. Two most intriguing are the kid standing on something (what?) in front of Travis' stalker and the women on the right hugging the kid while being completely disengaged. Cropping, especially on the left, might make it a stronger shot.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback guys...
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Jennifer,

#1 just misses. The hands with the umbrella on the right almost get there, but they need to be played off against something else. The story, that's so important in street photography isn't quite there.

#3 is pretty much a jumble. There are too many different partial stories in this picture for it to be good street photography. Closer in, the blank stares of the people inside the trolley might be fairly strong, like that Robert Frank picture of people passing each other on the street, each one completely inside himself, but the guy on the bike is another idea, completely different from the focus of the picture.

#2 is the best of the lot. The expression on the face of that mature woman is contemplative, questioning, and lonely. There's a story there. We can't know what it is, but that doesn't matter. It's good street.

Your work shines brightly in comparison with the posts of the majority of posters, who think they know what street photography is but never have studied the work of the masters and haven't the foggiest grasp of the genre.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    I enjoyed all three Jenn-however #3 is my favorite. Yes it's very much a jumble until you accidentally stumble on to that stare, that man, and everything else fades away and because I'm taken by surprise it leaves me cold.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Thanks Liz and Russ. Everyone likes something, no one like everything and each is different. Cool.

Russ, nice to see you over here from LL. It's an extremely diverse group, nice and always open to a good discussion, learning and sharing.