Our first time!

tinbashertinbasher Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited October 16, 2005 in People
These are my very first attempts at portrait work of any kind. These are also the subjects very first model shots. Needless to say we were both very nervous. I didn't know how to guide the subject, which relayed to the model. Thank heavens she was a great sport about it all. It didn't help that it was only 8 degrees celcius either. The model is my daughters best friend, so at least I could use some humor to lighten up the moment when it became difficult.
Your comments and suggestions will be more than appreciated by this first timer.

Cheers, Tony

40051867-M.jpg

40051863-M.jpg

40051860-M.jpg
If a tree falls in the forest...did anyone get a picture of it?

Comments

• HarrisonHarrison Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    You're off to a good start! The first pic, the model's nervousness seems to show, but it's still a good photo.

In the third pic, I like how the model's clothing goes well with the background colors, but I would have moved her over a bit so that the tree doesn't appear right out of her head. That's a great photo other than that. She's a very pretty girl!

Laughter is essential to me in the studio or on location. I even break it up by making funny accents while I'm shooting, and when I break out the "hillbilly photographer" voice I like to capture the moment of the reaction.

When I started, I printed out photos that I found on the web, or in magazines, and it gave me a wealth of ideas, and I showed them to my clients as ideas, too. The more shoots you have under your belt, the easier it gets to making everyone at ease. Good luck---like I said, you're off to a great start!

Here's one right after my "hillbilly" accent:

IMG_5321.jpg
  • tinbashertinbasher Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    Thanks Harrison for your reply.

Its funny after you look at a photo, and you say to yourself,or someone points it out, how you go DOH why didnt I shift over a bit, do this ,do that...this is one of those times. Didn't even see the tree when I was taking the pic....lol. Maybe I should start in a studio with a back drop...no trees, lamp posts, people...
    Well, its a learning experience for myself, and thanks again for your most informative comments. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tony
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    These are excellent first attempts! A few things to remember is EYES EYES EYES...Most portraits are all about the eyes, they are the window to the soul etc etc...Light...Make sure you avoid shadows under noses, chins etc, (which you didthumb.gif) And relax your model. Oh and of course...Practice practice practicethumb.gifthumb The colour in the 3rd shot is lovely. And I like the first 2. You did well with the light and thats usually the hardest thing so well done:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • tinbashertinbasher Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Thanks Rahmonster for the kinds words.

I think the nervousness will be the hardest thing to overcome, aswell as the "composition" before you take the picture.(ie tree out of head)

Cheers, Tony