Options

show crops in order details

jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
edited August 29, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
When I'm reviewing a customer's order, should I be seeing the actual crops they chose?

This is what I'm seeing when I review their order. They chose an 11 x 17 print of this pic, which is a 3:2 aspect ratio. This is what you would expect to see if you dropped a 3:2 on an 11 x 17 sheet of paper, but shouldn't I be seeing the actual product they're going to receive? Also, it shows my watermark in the lower right corner which definitely shouldn't be appearing on the print.

i-vNsdHMQ-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    They chose "no crop" which means your 3:2 ratio image in full will be put on an 11x14 paper. The way to catch these is to use Proof Delay on ALL orders, so you can modify them as needed. Write our heroes ASAP and we'll try to get things sorted out for you, no worries at all we guarantee every single print on every single order. Be sure to ref order# 2412583. Here's more on proof delay: http://smu.gs/ru2J4o
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    Thanks, Andy. I emailed your heroes. What about the watermark? Should I be seeing it on the proof?
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Thanks, Andy. I emailed your heroes. What about the watermark? Should I be seeing it on the proof?

You will see them because you watermark thumbnails. That is an option in the watermark tool and you chose that.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    None of my watermarks are set to watermark thumbs.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    None of my watermarks are set to watermark thumbs.

I'm sorry - I misspoke :) we show it in the cart that way but it will not print on your printed images.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    Ok, thanks. Looking forward to hearing back from a hero so I can crop these for them. I've added a 3-day poof.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm sorry - I misspoke :) we show it in the cart that way but it will not print on your printed images.
    It would be simple to add a note in the cart.

Watermarks will not appear on your prints.

But after suggesting this may times they seen to ignore it even after many have
    this problem. All they say is pros can add the comment on their site.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    That would make sense, wouldn't it? How hard can that be.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    It would be simple

Nothing is as simple as it seems, Al :D
    I think the reason here is that many photos aren't watermarked - and for us to determine IF a photo is watermarked in the order, we'd have to slow things down in the cart, that'd be expensive and bad.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    Wouldn't this do the trick, Andy? This won't slow anything down and it's certainly not going to confuse anyone.

There's no need to introduce the "IF" variable. It's just a statement. You can do this!!

i-dqcH8Bs-L.jpg
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    Wouldn't this do the trick, Andy? This won't slow anything down and it's certainly not going to confuse anyone.

There's no need to introduce the "IF" variable. It's just a statement. You can do this!!

i-dqcH8Bs-L.jpg
    Exactly what's needed, just plain text. Maybe even change text to:
    The watermark, if present, will not appear on prints.

... and I like a color that stands out.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Exactly what's needed, just plain text. Maybe even change text to:
    The watermark, if present, will not appear on prints.

... and I like a color that stands out.

People don't read that stuff anyway. Print marks put a big warning in the cart that the image will have a mark printed on it, it's in the cart and on the final review... folks still get angry and surprised when it shows up.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    That's why I don't use print marks. Of course they're going to piss people off.

If the images in the cart could simply reflect exactly what the customer was going to see, the "watermark" disclaimer wouldn't be necessary. I don't want to risk losing a sale because the customer doesn't want my watermark on their prints. If I had the ability to add the disclaimer to the ordering screen with code, I would do it. It's a very easy fix for SM. It's one line of text and it's not going to hurt anything by being there. If people still don't read it then they probably didn't care about the watermark in the first place.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Nothing is as simple as it seems, Al :D
    I think the reason here is that many photos aren't watermarked - and for us to determine IF a photo is watermarked in the order, we'd have to slow things down in the cart, that'd be expensive and bad.

Wait a minute here... If you're already checking for print marks and issuing a warning, then you already have the mechanism in place to do the same for watermarks.

If printmark = true, then A
    If watermark = true, then B

?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Wait a minute here... If you're already checking for print marks and issuing a warning, then you already have the mechanism in place to do the same for watermarks.

If printmark = true, then A
    If watermark = true, then B
    ?
    Printmarks are on a per gallery basis which isn't true for watermarks as they can be added to individual photos.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    If that precludes the current mechanism from being modified, then we're back to showing customers un-watermarked images in their cart (which is logical), or adding one line of text to the order screen (which is EASY).
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    That's why I don't use print marks. Of course they're going to piss people off.

If the images in the cart could simply reflect exactly what the customer was going to see, the "watermark" disclaimer wouldn't be necessary. I don't want to risk losing a sale because the customer doesn't want my watermark on their prints. If I had the ability to add the disclaimer to the ordering screen with code, I would do it. It's a very easy fix for SM. It's one line of text and it's not going to hurt anything by being there. If people still don't read it then they probably didn't care about the watermark in the first place.

If you choose to watermark display copies, then we are going to watermark it everywhere it is displayed... no holes in the defenses that they can steal an unwatermarked copy of the image just by placing it in the cart.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    cabbey wrote: »
    If you choose to watermark display copies, then we are going to watermark it everywhere it is displayed... no holes in the defenses that they can steal an unwatermarked copy of the image just by placing it in the cart.

There are no holes in your defenses. Only two sizes are visible throughout the ordering process.

Tiny:

i-ZgZFGGg-L.jpg

Medium:

i-xVmxh7H-L.jpg

The tiny pic is ridiculously small and if I don't watermark my thumbs, I sure don't care about anyone snagging it.

The medium pic is covered with grid lines, so where's the danger?

Either show the customer exactly what they're buying, or add a disclaimer so they understand I'm not slapping my logo on their prints.