My elder daughter got famous

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 17, 2005 in Sports
Natalie only started fencing couple months ago, but all of a sudden she's now considered the "top fencing dog" in her HS:

40064805-L.jpg

Pictures are not mine, I only scanned the article..
Funny how this works. But I'm glad for her:-) I guess it's good to be a popular junior:-)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    I think that is really neat Nik,something great for the family scrapbook.Thnxs for sharing.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    Great thumb.gif good luck to her clap.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Thanks Eric!
    4labs wrote:
    I think that is really neat Nik,something great for the family scrapbook.Thnxs for sharing.
    It sure is kewl:-)
    edited October 16, 2005
    Thank you!
    bfjr wrote:
    Great thumb.gif good luck to her clap.gif
    She would need it in college:-)
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Nik teenage girl --very sharp long object --is this a good idea headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif well now I know someone famous clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited October 16, 2005
    Lol
    jwear wrote:
    Nik teenage girl --very sharp long object --is this a good idea headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif well now I know someone famous clap.gif
    Thanks, Jeff!
    But I have a question for ya - aren't you going to join us at he Post Shootout? RV, etc.?
    Come on, sign up and be counted!
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Congrats Nik, looks like your daughter is doing very well. I never had such a huge newspaper article dedicated to me and what I'm doing. :D
    But it brings up questions - what happended with your family name or better said which one is the true one? On the net you are known as Sklobovsky, but the article mentions Sklobovskaya. Am I missing something about Russian naming schemes? ne_nau.gif
    Also they are talking about family tradition - does that mean that you used to fence yourself? Wow...sounds pretty cool.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 16, 2005
    How cool !!! clap.gif

Does this mean that you're a bit of a swash-buckler ? Did you reach any competitive heights yourself ?

I have always wanted to try fencing...having the surname Parry I have always thought it might be in my genes lol3.gif

Dave
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 16, 2005
    Sebastian,
    Congrats Nik, looks like your daughter is doing very well. I never had such a huge newspaper article dedicated to me and what I'm doing. :D
    But it brings up questions - what happended with your family name or better said which one is the true one? On the net you are known as Sklobovsky, but the article mentions Sklobovskaya. Am I missing something about Russian naming schemes? ne_nau.gif
    Also they are talking about family tradition - does that mean that you used to fence yourself? Wow...sounds pretty cool.

Sebastian
    In Russian language almost everything (the only exception I know are the first names, they do not intersect, so you always can tell a gender by the first name, no "Sandy" in Russian) has a "gender". There are actually three: masculine, feminine and "none", or "the third" (verbal translation is "soulless", i.e. "without a soul"). I believe the German is pretty close to that, although you would know better:-)
    As a part of this gender system, the last names (aka family names) are also change with the gender. Thus, Yuri's daughter or wife would bear the last name "Pautova" [p'a: u:tova]. Since my last name is kinda Polish origin and end with "ky" (pronouced [kij]), the appropriate female last name is a bit different both in Russian and English, and the article, for once, spleeded it correctly, ending with "kaya" [ka:ja]. Note that the stress syllable does not change, only the ending, so her last name thus far sounds as [sklob'ovska:ja], not as [sklobovsk'a:ja].

Speaking of the "family tradition"...:-) Well, it's a bit of strech.
    I used to fence foil for a few years in what now would be called "a high school" (USSR, 1975-77), but I never had a chance to continue to do that since I entered the university. So it's been a while (30 years:-). That is until this Summer, when I realized that there is a friendly fencing club 5 minutes away from my house, and first one, and then both of my daughters expressed a clear interest in this sport. It gave me an additional chance to bond with them (teenage girls, you know - hard to keep a rapport:-), as well as "recall the old good days".

Besides, I always use it as a "action shooting exercise" - dimly lit community center and fast moving fencers are tough targets...

That's about it! Thank you for your questions!
    edited October 17, 2005
    Nik,

thanks for the very interesting explanation. Now I can say that I at least know something about Russian grammar. mwink.gif
    Too bad that you didn't have the chance to stay in fencing. What about giving it another try - after 30 years - just for fun? You could invite a fellow dgrinner over there to shoot some pictures. :D

Yeah, I see how this helps you to improve your fast action shooting skills. It's a great opportunity. Actually we had the fencing world championship over here in Leipzig last week. I didn't pay much attention to it and as I see now it was also to expensive to get a good seat - don't have that much money at the moment. I guess it would have been hard with my trusty 717 - even on a 1st class seat. ne_nau.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 17, 2005
    I thought I said I entered, too
    Nik,
    Too bad that you didn't have the chance to stay in fencing. What about giving it another try - after 30 years - just for fun
    Sebastian
    Check this one: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20496
    I'm at the very bottom:-)
    And in the gallery - I'm kicking @$$!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited October 17, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Check this one: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20496
    I'm at the very bottom:-)
    And in the gallery - I'm kicking @$$!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Thanks, I guess I just missed the part where you said this.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero