Newborn First Timer

Shooter84Shooter84 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited August 27, 2011 in People
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this so feel free to move it if needed. As the title states Ive been asked to shoot a newborn session for the first time. I am a little lost at where to even start and am looking for advice. Props, lights, posing, I dont even know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Do you have a 1.8 or a 1.4 Prime? If not, rent one! :-D Use as much natural and window light as possible for sure.
    Canon Fan
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    Allow a lot of time. Under two weeks is a good time to capture sleeping photos with cute poses. This is done by having a baby with a full tummy and keeping them warm. Plan to shoot close and you won't have to worry much about background. I recently had a short session with two puppies. I had a metal tub, put a big pillow in it, then a big fluffy blanket and brought them right next to a large window facing north. They were sleepy so it was very easy, but then again these were puppies !
    Where will this session take place?
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    Baskets make great baby holders! I also use a Bobby pillow that I cover with a blanket or faux lambskin. Some people use baby beanbag chairs. It can be fun to find something in the client's house to use, just always take some of your own for back-up. I do sometimes use a single flash in an umbrella with a diffuser. Natural light is great, if there is a nice window.