Simple lighting and a great personallity

orangeradishorangeradish Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited August 26, 2011 in People
I was at a friend's place engaging in some mildly bad behavior. Late into this particular night, I got the itch to shoot. My friend has a larger than life personality. This comes through in very animated facial expressions. I wanted to use lighting that accented the form of his face. I'm guilty of using this type of setup often, but I love how where the light isn't adds just as much to the photo as where it is. We were talking while I shot, and once I got the lighting dialed, I started to get what I expected. Big expressions, laughs, ect. Cool, but not what I was looking for. I don't remember what he was saying. Or if it was just a blink, or pause, but I got this shot. For the same reason that I like where light isn't in a shot, I think this moment of calm tells as much about him as the other frames that were all big expressions. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would be the one I liked the best.

Thanks for looking.

Jason

(self critique-I'm not a fan of the lettering on his shirt, but I was too lazy to remove it. I should've had him take the watch off, as it's a bit distracting.)

294854_2319921842126_1371947631_32737853_4642688_n.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    while you know this guy...we don't. Your emotions color your perception of the image. Judging the *just* the image, the light is almost interesting...but for me it just doesn't work because I can't see the eye in the light portion of his face..completly loses connection for me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • orangeradishorangeradish Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    while you know this guy...we don't. Your emotions color your perception of the image. Judging the *just* the image, the light is almost interesting...but for me it just doesn't work because I can't see the eye in the light portion of his face..completly loses connection for me.

Thanks for the comment. Interesting point. I drew the shadows down until you could barely see the right cheek. More light, and I didn't like it. I need to post photos more often. It's hard to have a neutral eye when looking at my own photos. I dig others perspective. Thanks again!

j
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Just a little bit more exposure, and I think you would have an interesting shot... :-)
    Canon Fan
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Just a little bit more exposure, and I think you would have an interesting shot... :-)

I agree thumb.gif
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Realize that opinions don't make something right or wrong. If you like it that is fine, if the customer likes it that is even better!!!!

Sidelighting always brings out the character lines in a face or object. Generally the shadows should be opened up more.