Options

Finland

LiquidElephantLiquidElephant Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited August 30, 2011 in Journeys
We had a housemate for a year who hailed from Finland, his wife from Romania. She had moved to Finland to work for Nokia, but he had a further year on his studies, so he rented a room where I also do. When he left, he told me that I must come visit him ... so a couple of months ago I did :)

The harbour in Helsinki
IMG1700-M.jpg

DocksPanorama-M.jpg

We took a trip out on a ferry to a fortified island, the name of which I forget...
IMG1754-M.jpg

And ran into a wedding taking place!
IMG1770-M.jpg

A bridge onto the other part of the island
BridgeFixed-M.jpg

We then later headed out to the countryside, to stay with my friend's parents. His father insisted on cooking us some tiny fishes using something he'd just bought.
IMG1806-M.jpg

IMG1829-M.jpg

They were VERY tasty!
IMG1846-M.jpg

Mosquitoes were everywhere, and citronella didn't help :(
IMG1837-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    The next day, we got taken out on a little boat to see my friend's grandparents, who lived on an island in the middle of the lake we were close to. The weather for the whole four days we were there was glorious :)

P1010256-M.jpg

The jetty on the island.
    P1010265-M.jpg

Taken from the boat. These few are all from my Panasonic Lumix TZ6, a cracking camera! You can just about see my friend on the phone. They say don't phone and drive, not sure how it applies to boats ... ;)
    P1010299-M.jpg

Later on we went onto his friend's house (still in the country). This place was directly on the lake (which was amazing), and my friend did a spot of unsuccessful fishing ;)
    IMG1959-M.jpg

IMG1967-M.jpg

The sunset was nice - it never got dark, though!!
    IMG1979-M.jpg

Here's a duck
    IMG2011-M.jpg

Mummy duck, to be precise. She was swimming around with her five almost-fully-grown ducklings, whilst my girlfriend and I were in the water. Everyone else kept throwing bread at us. It's weird having ducks rushing towards your face and stealing bread from under your nose!! :D
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    After another day in the country, we headed back to Helsinki and went for a wander. I didn't get many decent images unfortunately!

P1010351-M.jpg

Finnish Parliament
    P1010369-M.jpg

This museum was sadly closed, but it did have a bear outside :)
    P1010373-M.jpg

P1010394-M.jpg
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Fortified Island Area around Helsinki

http://www.fortified-places.com/suomenlinna.html
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011
    That's the one. Keep forgetting the name, thanks! :)