Options

Horses and Flash

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited August 27, 2011 in Technique
Hopefully the other horse people find this. I see Adorama has some cheap radio transmiitters. The director for my winter indoor show jumper series has told me a few times if I want to put flash up in the rafters above a few jumps he is good with it. What do you think? Last thing I want to do is screw up somebodies ride.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,816 moderator
    edited August 26, 2011
    Use both clamps and safety lanyards to secure any lighting equipment above. The last thing you want is stuff falling on people.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Use both clamps and safety lanyards to secure any lighting equipment above. The last thing you want is stuff falling on people.

Thanks, good idea. First off though, I don't want very expensive, very large horses to freak out. :hide
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Hopefully the other horse people find this. I see Adorama has some cheap radio transmiitters. The director for my winter indoor show jumper series has told me a few times if I want to put flash up in the rafters above a few jumps he is good with it. What do you think? Last thing I want to do is screw up somebodies ride.

I use an alien bee b800 and a couple of speedlights (580ex and sunpack 383) on lightstands along the fence lines for barrel racing. Every once in a while I will have someone come up to me and say don't use flash for this run. So I don't shoot them..I have actually seen it in the the entry sheets sometimes that tells them if you don't want to be photographed it is your responsibility to tell the photog so have the director do that and put it on them...

1083625962_YkA4c-S.jpg
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    I use an alien bee b800 and a couple of speedlights (580ex and sunpack 383) on lightstands along the fence lines for barrel racing. Every once in a while I will have someone come up to me and say don't use flash for this run. So I don't shoot them..I have actually seen it in the the entry sheets sometimes that tells them if you don't want to be photographed it is your responsibility to tell the photog so have the director do that and put it on them...

Thanks. Ya, I've used flash for barrels and rodeo in the past. In your shot it looks like the horse was looking right at your flash when it fired. Show jumpers are a skittish lot. Not sure if you have been around them much. Some will spook at about anything, and the owners don't take it kindly if they can blame it on somebody.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    Thanks. Ya, I've used flash for barrels and rodeo in the past. In your shot it looks like the horse was looking right at your flash when it fired. Show jumpers are a skittish lot. Not sure if you have been around them much. Some will spook at about anything, and the owners don't take it kindly if they can blame it on somebody.
    Many horses can be/are skittish. So always ask the trainer at the Show. Last one I attended, Show trainer told me, if they scare from a flash, they shouldn't be here.
    tom wise