Anna.. Bikini + Waterfall

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited August 29, 2011 in People
Tried to get a blonde for this shoot...so hard to find girls that will actually commit to a shoot. I have shot Anna a couple times and she is great fun to work with. Her brown hair kind of disappears against the rock...but that is what I had to work with a beautiful young lady nonetheless.

Amazing location in the Idaho wilds...45 minutes straight down into a canyon to get to this place. You have to hike down in the morning before it gets hot and the snakes come out :D.

Lots more at her gallery: http://aoboudoirboise.smugmug.com/Other/Annas-swimsuit-gallery/18748456_HqqWrx#1450864833_69nxpsG

800D707629-2-2edited-1.jpg

900D707587-2-3-copyedited-1.jpg

850D707762-2oedited-2.jpg

850D707734-2.jpg

850D707602-2.jpg

850D707567-2bedited-1.jpg

800D3R1788-2.jpg

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    There's a waterfall and rocks in those pics? headscratch.gif

Just kidding...

All are wonderful. Of the one's posted, #5 is my favorite. Love the perspective. Almost wide angle-ish. You nailed it though. No distortion on the model because you put her close to center but not too close where it makes for a static comp.

#2 I also like but I kind of feel like the bit of the falls that is show is distracting. Maybe not. She is beautiful so it took me a second pass through this to actually notice the BG elements. thumb.gif

#6... awesome pose and expression. Her pale skin really sets off from the dark elements in the BG. Really cool. Actually, I think her brown hair works better than a blonde would have. At least that's my opinion... a little biased though because I el oh vee eee brunettes.

#3 looks a little weird. Almost like a composite. I know it's not. Did you use a red channel conversion on it? Her skin is so white she almost pops right off the BG. Maybe what you intended. It really is only around that hair that it looks funky. I'm looking at again and appears as if you dodged her hair a bit. Maybe it blended too much when you converted. If so, try doing two conversion, red filter & maybe neutral or blue and blending the two.

Now I'm going to check out the gallery.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I shot a lot of this gallery with the 14-24 Nikon, so yeah some are very wide angle.
    Three is a crop from a larger shot....I black and whited it and then pumped the orange channel to make her skin really white....so it would stand out and then gave it a little more black to accentuate her curves. All my processing is very simple never use layers no conversions...not sure what you are seeing that is funky...may some shrinking artifacts ??

Here is another version of 2 with no distractions.

800D3R1739-2.jpg
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    No artifacts Zoom. The hair just looks "cut out" from the BG. No big deal. If I take my eyes away from the screen and bring them back, taking the image in as a whole, I don't see it. I think I'm just focusing on the hair.

Really beautiful work man.

My Smug Site
    edited August 28, 2011
    BTW, are these all natural light or did you use any reflectors or strobes?

My Smug Site
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Love the depth of #5 and #7 would be my other fav.
    edited August 28, 2011
    Thanks!
    I had two flashes set on rocks that were pointing at the waterfall. The morning light was coming in off the canyon wall above, but to light the back of the canyon I needed the flashes...without them the waterfall would have looked pretty dull.
    Sometimes I used the flashes sometimes not. No flashes on her except in the full length shots where she was near the falls.
    edited August 28, 2011
    So no flash on her at all? headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • 0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Beautiful model, great location. what's not to love?
    edited August 28, 2011
    Thanks!
    What are you seeing that makes you think flash?
    I did not intentionally flash her on any shots except when she was standing right by the waterfall, which didn't last long because it was so cold down there in that pocket.

If you look closely at #2. One of the flashes is barely visible (black, laying on the rock) just touching her left knee. The other flash was equadistant from the falls on the other side.
    edited August 28, 2011
    Nothing gives the impression that you used flash, just asking. I don't see any signs of flash so is why I asked. Great set.

My Smug Site
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    You have to hike down in the morning before it gets hot and the snakes come out :D.

Really great stuff as usual. But, I gotta ask, what do you do about the hike back up? Wade through the snakes?:D
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Way to knock it outta the park Zoomer.
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thanks everyone.
    No snakes till mid afternoon thankfully. We hiked out at about 11.
    Thanks Albert.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    I am digging #5.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Really nice work. I think the location really adds to the photos too. Makes everything really exotic since there aren't waterfalls or beautiful girls in bikinis in most of our backyards. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+