Kara trying sexy...

0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited September 13, 2011 in People
I think she succeeded too. Just editing this set, what do you think?

800_7953-.jpg

800_8042.jpg

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    I don't know about sexy. Sexy is more than having your top off. It's an attitude, look, combined with the mood of the setting. These don't scream sexy to me. She is attractive though. I just don't think "handbras" are sexy in and of themselves. To me, a shot of her from behind without her hands covering her chest where you see maybe a hint of her form, using shadows instead of direct light would be more "sexy".
  • 0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Sexy was the word the model used when she asked me to do the topless shoot. I'm not really a fan of the hand-bra either but Kara has been delighted with the shots. You're right about 'sexy' too..
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Women sometimes can't emotionally pull off looks they want to try. She looks more insecure and unhappy...rather then sexy and confident. For a women to look sexy she has to look confident.
    If you get to reshoot, find a nice setting where she can relax out of the midday sun.
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thanks guys..
  • VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    First time chimer on people, but I think I see what I like and what I don't like. On the second shot, I like the framing and I also like the pose from the waist down. Curves in the knees, hips and waist, I love it. But from the elbows up the pose looks more like a boxer especially seeing the full backs of both hands. I'm no portrait guy, but isn't that one of those basic no nos? I don't know if she could pull it off, but maybe if her fingers were laced behind her neck? I also agree with the use of more flattering light and shadow. I'll be interested to see how you progress with this.

MikeV-
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts Mike.. Appreciated..
  • RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    I'm learning the "people" thing so I'm interested in the opinions about the shadows in the second shot. I find the shadow below her nose and on her stomach distracting. Is that something that one should consider and try to avoid in a "people" shot?
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Just have to point out, these aren't hand bras. :D

You might try a softer expression and later evening or early morning light for less harsh light. Also, unbuttoning the top button on jeans can help with that sexy look you're after. Despite the flood of glam photos on the web, glam is a lot harder to shoot than it appears.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited September 11, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback guys.. The sun was pretty brutal that day and getting models out of bed early is not always the easiest thing.. I do try...

This one was done in a bit of shade and I think benefits for it..

7926_800_st.jpg
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Oscar, just a thought.

What I see (and what I think others are commenting upon) is that she doesn't look comfortable. In my view, the main cause is her mouth. She doesn't look soft and sexy, she almost looks like she's gritting her teeth , almost asking "Here's my boobs, are you happy now?". This is true even in that last one.

Next time, try one of these two things: First have her blow out her mouth to relax her lips and the muscles around her cheeks. The try telling her to either whisper the letter "O" OR to just gently breathe through her mouth. With any luck, that will soften the lower half of her face and give her a more relaxed look with her mouth slightly open showing no teeth.

It works with some and with others, not so much.

Good luck.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
    Thanks John.
    It was our first shoot together and I think her first implied shoot. (her request). She has asked to do another shoot, so that at least is positive and gives me an opportunity to try this technique.
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    Great set but I think the light was to harsh. Thank you for sharing.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    Ja, John is right on the money. Two other concerns:

-Lighting control: Bright patch on skin in #1. Part two has shinyskin on forehead and a shadow covering her navel (where attention is drawn to because of her piercing)

-Personally, not a big fan of the "I'm topless but you can't see" look. Others will likely disagree with me, but I think that the covered topless look works best if her breasts are covered incidentally by the pose, rather than an obvious attempt to hide them.
    edited September 13, 2011
    So, after John's comments about her mouth I went and looked at her portfolio.. Sure enough, same mouth on 99% of her images. I should have spotted that and will try and tactfully work with her on it, in our next shoot.