Anniversary Pendant

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited August 31, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary during our summer vacation, and I gave her a pendant for the occasion. I tried shooting it like I've seen Cat Hoffman do. I had some mixed results, and really learned how hard it is to make these kinds of shots look great.

1452008345_jJGG7HT-XL.jpg

1452008543_8jzg8cb-XL.jpg

1452009007_b2zDzrW-XL.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Wonderful shots. How would you get more detail in the diamonds?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.992716,-78.961454
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    fredjclaus wrote: »
    Wonderful shots. How would you get more detail in the diamonds?

I'm not quite sure what I did wrong there. headscratch.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Shooting jewelry is an art form unto itself. I can understand your frustrations. Most successful jewelry photography will place the subject in a sterile and simple environment.....very much like you would see it properly displayed in a jewelry counter. A simple environment implies one that has no competing elements to detract from the subject presentation....the greatest drawback to the way you have presented the subject here. Additionally, absolute control of the lighting is essential to dealing with highly reflective surfaces....quite often the case with gemstones of various kinds. Even under ideal conditions, getting the jewelry piece to put it's best foot forward can be tricky. The two guys I know who excel at this kind of photography are both wizards with light manipulation and the delicate control of the environment....even when it has been stretched to include live models and other extraneous elements.

The pendant is a beautiful piece and I hope you can end up with a shot of it that satisfies you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 28, 2011
    Shooting jewelry is an art form unto itself. I can understand your frustrations. Most successful jewelry photography will place the subject in a sterile and simple environment.....very much like you would see it properly displayed in a jewelry counter. A simple environment implies one that has no competing elements to detract from the subject presentation....the greatest drawback to the way you have presented the subject here. Additionally, absolute control of the lighting is essential to dealing with highly reflective surfaces....quite often the case with gemstones of various kinds. Even under ideal conditions, getting the jewelry piece to put it's best foot forward can be tricky. The two guys I know who excel at this kind of photography are both wizards with light manipulation and the delicate control of the environment....even when it has been stretched to include live models and other extraneous elements.

The pendant is a beautiful piece and I hope you can end up with a shot of it that satisfies you.

Tom

Thanks for the info.

I mostly just like seeing it on my wife. The pictures were just a way for me to stretch myself a bit, photographically. I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of control for the environment they're in. I wasn't interested in a sterile, controlled environment. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    These shots look great, coming from a non-jeweler. More importantly, does she love it? :)
    edited August 28, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    These shots look great, coming from a non-jeweler. More importantly, does she love it? :)

She does. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    I like how you having it set up with the moss and plants. But .. I love the necklace :D
    edited August 30, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I like how you having it set up with the moss and plants. But .. I love the necklace :D

Thanks, Mary!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Beautiful... love shot #3

Will not be showing these shots to my wife..... she'll want one (diamond that is).
  • LiveLikeLizPhotosLiveLikeLizPhotos Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Really pretty photos, I love #3 as well.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    I'd rather see the pendant on your wife thumb.gif
    edited August 30, 2011
    DJT wrote: »
    Beautiful... love shot #3

Will not be showing these shots to my wife..... she'll want one (diamond that is).

Hah! Thanks. The jeweler said that the stones are "past, present and future".
    Really pretty photos, I love #3 as well.

Thanks!
    Andy wrote: »
    I'd rather see the pendant on your wife thumb.gif

I may have to work on that. The only shot I have of it on her was on a hike in the ADK, and it's a hot, sweaty cleavage shot that I'll not be posting. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 31, 2011
    It could be that the secret to great jewelry photography is the processing .
    Moderator Emeritus