Options

Photoshop Shortcuts

2»

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    A tilde is an accent used when writing Spanish.
    It's also used to write not equal in matlab rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I read another one yesterday, its new to me but nobody else I suspect.
    When using levels adjustment, if you hold down the ALT key when you click on the shadow or highlight sliders, the preview will only show the pixels on the left of the slider if using the shadow, and on the right if using the highlight, enabling you to trim more accurately...PSCS

Just read that back, I hope you know what I mean ne_nau.gif
    Yepp, thats a good one gubbs!
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I've just realized that tab hides/unhides all the pallets and toolbox (pscs win)
    You can modify this one!

Try shift + tab...

It will hide all the palettes except the toolbox
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2004
    re this thread re shortcuts
    could you all put a book together with all this stuff in it, it is all good. But I am out of paper from copying it. Will get more paper, just kidding, but this stuff is so good. I will say that my keyboard does not always work, other than that I am trying to learn these things. My mind can only take so much at a time.
    g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    Ginger, Is this the one you're looking for
    I remember doing the same thing you mention. I think it may have been the tutorial by Andy called "Layer masks explained" or the "selective color in b&w". I've tried both of these, but still have trouble because the "brush" doesn't work and I don't know why. It only works on the "background" layer, not the Mask.
    Snapapple
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    Read another one last night that I find really usefull....
    in filebrowser CRTL ' flags and unflags your selection, coupled with arrow keys its so much quicker tahn the mouse
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I remember doing the same thing you mention. I think it may have been the tutorial by Andy called "Layer masks explained" or the "selective color in b&w". I've tried both of these, but still have trouble because the "brush" doesn't work and I don't know why. It only works on the "background" layer, not the Mask.
    Snapapple
    Your color boxes are set to black and white, and you've tried both colors? When I do it, black reveals the background layer, white restores the top layer. I only ever have two layers for a mask. Dunno if that's what is not working for you. ne_nau.gif If you document every step you take, I'm sure someone here will figure out why you're having difficulty.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Just reading this old thread, some good stuff here. Especially "spacebar", a friend told me that one a few weeks ago and man I use that all the time.

I stumbled across this one today, but I'm not near my computer with PS on it to try it out:

[ and ] are supposed to change the size of the brush you are using. If true, it will get rid of a big annoyance for me; I hate that brush pulldown!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    [ and ] are supposed to change the size of the brush you are using. If true, it will get rid of a big annoyance for me; I hate that brush pulldown!
    nod.gif They do work and I use them all the time.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Great tip, I've been wondering about that for a couple of days. Now to figure out how to add your post to the hall of fame dupe of this thread, DJ. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    bham wrote:
    Yeah thanks to this thread I have actually started looking for more shortcuts. Here are a few new to me I found.

M Marquee tool

L Lasso tool

C Crop tool

W Magic Wand tool

V Move tool

T Text tool

O Dodge/Burn/Sponge tool

R Blur tool

The tool that comes up is the last one selected. (ie if you hit O and last used Dodge, dodge will come up, but if you want sponge you need to go click on dodge then select sponge tool)

This are just a few of the ones for the tool bar. Every tool has one, just put your cursor over each tool on the bar and the letter that comes up is the shortcut.
    Browsing through this old thread, figured I add some 'wisdom'

Any of teh single keyed shortcuts, like M for Marquee, O for dodge, I for eyedropper, L for Lasso, etc will cycle through their options by pressing them a second time. i.e. first time you hit them, they pop up with the last used, secnd time, they will cycle.

I know CTRL-L has been mentioned for levels, but what about CTRL-M for Curves.

Oh and while CTRL-Z toggles the last history state (UNDO/REDO) CTRL-ALT-Z walks back in History states (as many as you have saved)

There are tons more, the ones I always forget are when to use the alt key or the ctrl key or shift when making new layers and/or mask, I know there are tons of options there, but I always mess it up and endup redoing or dragging layers.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2005
    How many fingers do you need to have...
    I was checking Greg Gorman b/w conversion out, when I got stumbled on an unknown command. In the step #16 he suggests to use Merge Visible popup menu command while holding the Option button. I was trying that - to no avail. Pressing Alt button (which is usually a PC alternative to Mac's Option) would kill the popup instantly. Shift, Ctrl and the combination of thereof would do nothing to the expected effect.

Getting desperate, I asked my "homie", Thousand Oaks local DavidTO, who also happens to be a PS expert and Mac aficionado, to help me. With his prompt aid it turned out that this simple command merges all visible layers into a newly created layer, but leaves the original layers intact. "Pretty handy command", I thought to myself.

I have scanned the help, the existing shortcuts - nothing. I found a workaround - select the existing layers, create duplicates, merge duplicates - it worked ok, but it seemed to be quite a hassle. Besides, the action that David was kind enough to send to me worked fine on my XP SP2 PC, which led me to a suspicion that the command in question actually exists in a PC version of PS, but for some reason is not surfaced properly.

It was time to call the cavalry. Being an active NAPP member, I submitted a question to the help desk. And just a few minutes ago (few hours later) I got a very straightforward answer: this command does exist in PC version of PS.

Would you like to know how to get to it?

It's very simple!:-)

Just press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E - and you're there! It was SOOOOO obvious, silly, wasn't it?

Funny, this shortcut was not mentioned in any of the Scott Kelby's books, even in "PS CS Dirty Tricks".

Which leaves me wondering, how many other helpful commands are still laying there hidden from us...

Or, as I said in my post' subject: how many fingers would I need to have to activate them?:):

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:

Or, as I said in my post' subject: how many fingers would I need to have to activate them?:):

HTH

merged to the shortcuts thread, nik. thanks.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Getting desperate, I asked my "homie", Thousand Oaks local DavidTO, who also happens to be a PS expert

Hardly. But thanks for the compliment.
    Just press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E

That's the same on the Mac. It's the same command, it's just that for some reason the alt key is conflicting when you try to access the pull-down menu. The mac equivalent is cmd-opt-shift-E.

I didn't KNOW this was the shortcut, but when you posted this, I checked it out, and it works. (Proves my point that I'm no PS expert!)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    You guys have been busy restructuring...
    andy wrote:
    merged to the shortcuts thread, nik. thanks.
    I didn't even know this thread exists. Now I do.

One thing though: I think we need to form a sticky read only thread consisting of one post only, where the moderator could update the list of the "non-trivial" shortucts. That would make the whole thing easily searchable..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Nik's PS Shortcuts
    OK, now that the thread is here - I have something to offer:-)

All of the following shortcuts are legit for PS CS (v8) /CS2 (v9). They may also work for the older version, but I have no way to test it...
    Also, I provide a PC version only, since I do not have Mac. In most cases, Ctrl=Command and Alt=Option. Shift should be the same on both platforms.
    Record and Play.
    Everybody is aware of the Ctrl+T, which gives you the Free Transform.
    But would you like to record your transformation and the replay it a dozen or more times?
    Here is your hidden weapon.
    Press Ctrl+Alt+T to start a special version of Free Transform. For example, rescale your selection down a bit, move it a little a tun it a tad. Press Enter to confirm. So far so good, business as usual? Not really. Now press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T - and your transformation will be repeated. Keep it pressed - and you get a nice little spiral effect:

36591193-M.jpg

Instant Target Acquisition

Doing patching, or another high-precision operation, need to be pixel-accurate, but your brush size is big?
    Never fear! Just hit a Caps Lock - it would toggle the real-size cursor to a small cross-hair looking one. Another press toggles things back.
    Don't you love it?

Instant Brush Size/Softness Change

Press "[" [/b]/ [b]"]" to decrease/increase the brush tip size.
    Press Shift+"[" [/b]/[b] "]" to decrease/increase the brush softness.
    Seriously, I forgot when was the last time I picked brush' size/softness from the menu...

Mighty Mouse

Ctrl+mouse - instant move your target
    Ctrl+Space+mouse - instant zoom by the mouse
    Space+mouse - instant pan with the mouse
    Alt+Mouse - instant color picker

The beauty of all these: once you release the mouse, you're back to whatever mode you were. Most of them also work in most of the specialty dialogs.

Show me the money!
    Ctrl+0 (zero) - best fit view
    Ctrl+Alt+0 - 100% view
    ----

More later:-)

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2005
    The ultimate list
    Nikolai wrote:
    One thing though: I think we need to form a sticky read only thread consisting of one post only, where the moderator could update the list of the "non-trivial" shortucts. That would make the whole thing easily searchable..rolleyes1.gif
    No need to reinvent the wheel. Everything is already done. Here is the linky:
    http://trimoon.com/PSCSKeyboardShortcuts.pdf

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    No need to reinvent the wheel. Everything is already done. Here is the linky:
    http://trimoon.com/PSCSKeyboardShortcuts.pdf

Enjoy!

That requires a bandwidth warning, my friend.

EDIT: Actually it's quite small. It just takes forever to draw or load or something.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Maybe you need a latest Acrobat reader?
    DavidTO wrote:
    That requires a bandwidth warning, my friend.

EDIT: Actually it's quite small. It just takes forever to draw or load or something.
    If, by any chance, you're on v.6x, it WAS deadly slow..ne_nau.gif

I didn't notice any delays in getting, opening or printing... with the exception of the fact that my hp6840 ran out of paper after the first page and had to stack in a new ream:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    Any of teh single keyed shortcuts, like M for Marquee, O for dodge, I for eyedropper, L for Lasso, etc will cycle through their options by pressing them a second time.
    In Photoshop CS I have to hit shift plus the tool shortcut to cycle through them. Simply hitting it a 2nd time doesnt do anything new. IE M may give me the square marquee, shift m will then give me the circular marquee.

I hate going back and forth between the image and pallets so I try to work mostly pallet free, so I have alot of short cuts I like.

Ctrl + space = zoom in
    Alt + space = zoom out

space = hand tool, move around

Alt + del = fill the layer with either the foreground color
    Ctrl + del = fill the layer with the background color.

Ctrl + A = select all.

After you select all....
    Ctrl + shift + c = copy all as if they layers were all merged.
    Ctrl + v = pastes the merged layers.

If you have something selected....
    Ctrl + J = moves the selected object to a new layer, removing it from the old layer. *this is going from memory, and isnt confirmed*

Ctrl + m = curves
    Ctrl + l = levels
    Ctrl + u = hue/saturation
    Ctrl + shift = desaturate

And these are not to well known.
    You can use the shift, ctrl and alt keys with most tools.

Examples with the marquee and crop tool.
    Alt + drag = where you initially click will be the exact center of the selection.
    Shift + drag = your marquee will be an exact square or circle.
    Alt + Shift + drag = combination of those above.

Then theres the shortcuts for the individual tools. Like J for healing brush, B for brush, S for cloning stamp. M for marquee.

The following works in most windows programs including ps.

Ctrl + tab = rotate through open documents/images
    Ctrl + shift + tab = rotate the other direction through open documents/images

I think my favourite short cuts is the space bar to move around, ctrl and alt space to zoom, tab to show/hide the toolbar. Also I use the ctrl shift c alot since I like to preserve my layers so I can see how I did something if I want to later.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    In Photoshop CS I have to hit shift plus the tool shortcut to cycle through them. Simply hitting it a 2nd time doesnt do anything new. IE M may give me the square marquee, shift m will then give me the circular marquee.

That's a preference setting. You can change it to the other behaviour if you like.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    My guess is: Ctrl + Alt + ~ or if you use a Mac: Command + Option + ~

yes, this is how it's done.

however, i have a problem: i can no longer select highlights this way on my mac, does know why? mac, tiger, ps cs2. it's not working ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    it's an apple systems prefs thing
    andy wrote:
    yes, this is how it's done.

however, i have a problem: i can no longer select highlights this way on my mac, does know why? mac, tiger, ps cs2. it's not working ne_nau.gif

had to uncheck this box

39122286-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    had to uncheck this box

39122286-M.jpg

actually, all i had to do was uncheck one apple keyboard shortcut this info is on the adobe support knowledgebase.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    excellent resource on keyboard shortcuts and plenty of other goodies! go to page 2 for download of ps2, bridge shortcuts for mac, and that "other" platform naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    CS4 Luminosity Keyboard Shortcut is

cmd-opt-2

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b70a9f