saberlight DIY

wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited August 29, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
So today I got the motivation to build a saberstrip www.saberstrip.com/what-is-it/ I had a tube layin around from a large pano print I got in and it worked perfect. I cut out the notch with a jigsaw, lined it with tinfoil and put a white "sock" over the opening. I painted the outside of it black, made a bracket so it would fit on my flash umbrella stand. Took me about 3 hours by time I got done hunting all the parts down. The bracket really slowed me down. I used my dog for a test subject and I'm happy with it and saved $200+. Now I need to build another one.

I use the cactus v5s to trigger my flashes

saberlight-X2.jpg

Comments

• RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    That's pretty cool...

and the results look good to me... a couple of those and you're golden.

How long is it and its through a sock... like a cotton sock?
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    That looks great! How are you mounting the flash on the end?
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Roadkill wrote: »
    That's pretty cool...

and the results look good to me... a couple of those and you're golden.

How long is it and its through a sock... like a cotton sock?

It's just some white material, not sure name of it, but like nylon material and it's 3 feet long
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    That looks great! How are you mounting the flash on the end?

I mounted two bolts with wingnuts on each side and use a rubberband, plus I made the hole in the end pretty snug.
  • SyphoniusSyphonius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Very cool. I had to look up the Cactus and it seems like a very nice and inexpensive tool.

However, my Mentalvisionanator is broken this morning. Any chance you could post a closeup of the flash mount end of the tube?
    Just a hobbyist with never enough time to shoot.
    SmugMug
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    I do enjoy the cactus v5s, very reliable for me. I had the cactus v2s before and worked great for me and I can use them in conjunction with the v5s also.

Anyway some more shots of the project:

i-rFtRPqG-XL.jpg

2. It fits very snug into the plastic end, one could use velcro pads and make a strap instead of rubberbands
    i-BMn6hpk-XL.jpg

i-JzHj2DG-XL.jpg

4. The bracket is actually out of a broken light ficture and just bent to fit, nice and stiff. The material is just hot glued on over the opening and one could get fancy and put a border around it to dress it up.
    i-NFmKKFR-XL.jpg

5. The one end is 6 inches before I started the window/slot and 1.5 inches on the other end, not sure if that should be different or not.
    i-5KwsbbS-XL.jpg

So not bad for first prototype. Next one I build will be made from thin wall pvc pipe like you see on the right here:
    lanemeyer-albums-04-fx4-picture23419-thin-wall-3-pvc-pipe-fits-perfectly-into-fender-opening.jpg
  • SyphoniusSyphonius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thanks much! I'm now eyeing those old picture tubes in the corner of my office... hmmmm.
    Just a hobbyist with never enough time to shoot.
    SmugMug
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Cool, thanks for the detailed pics.