Iowa Airshow #2 (9 pics)

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 30, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I have no idea what make/model this plane is, but I can tell you that it's pretty awesome!

Twin Merlin engines make a wonderful sound :thumb

I don't think this plane was designed for this abuse, but I enjoyed it...
Randy

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    More good shots, Randy.thumb.gif

The twin engine plane you show is a Lockheed Electra Model 10 ( I'm not sure of the exact version ). Amelia Earhart was flying a late version ( Model 10-E ) when she disappeared. This plane was not powered, though, by Merlin engines. The Merlin engine was made by Rolls-Royce and is an inline, liquid-cooled engine. During WWII, it was also manufactured, under license from Rolls, by companies in the U.S. The engines in the Electra are air-cooled, rotary ones made by Pratt & Whitney. The early versions put out about 450 HP. The later ones, like Earhart's, were making about 600 HP.

Keep the good stuff coming,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    I think the twin prop is a Beechcraft 18. I've seen them all over northern Canada on floats. Look at the front windscreen pillars and the way the horizontal rear stabilizer comes through the outside edge of the vertical stabilizers.

I've never seen one flying like that one though! amazing!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    I think the twin prop is a Beechcraft 18. I've seen them all over northern Canada on floats. Look at the front windscreen pillars and the way the horizontal rear stabilizer comes through the outside edge of the vertical stabilizers.

I've never seen one flying like that one though! amazing!

I think you're right in identifying this plane. I should have looked at it a little more closely the first time around. The two planes were often mistaken for each other but the difference in features you mention are correct. The Lockheed was also a slightly larger plane than the Beechcraft. The Beechcraft also ended up using Pratt & Whitney engines but I don't believe they got into the higher HP versions that the Lockheed ended up using.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Thanks guys, as stated, I know nothing about these birds other than they are fun to watch!
    Randy