Options

Sigma Lenses

hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited October 19, 2005 in Cameras
I am working on getting my first DSLR. I am looking at the Canon Rebel Digital, and already have 2 canon lenses. They are just cheap lenese, and will do until I can get a better one. I have been looking at the Sigma lenses, and was wondering what the general take on them is. I do not have a ton to spend, it may take a while until I even get the cash to get another lens. I shoot sports at night/inside mostly an was looking at the APO 135-400mm F4.5-5.6.
Scott

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 580 EX Speedlight
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
SanDisk Ultra IIs

Comments

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    I don't have any experience with sigma lenses but if your doing indoor/night sports I would think your going to need something faster than f4.5

Maybe somebody will chime in with a suggestion.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I don't have any experience with sigma lenses but if your doing indoor/night sports I would think your going to need something faster than f4.5

Maybe somebody will chime in with a suggestion.

Eric
    I have a Sigma 24-70 2.8 I wanted a canon but just could'nt spend the money.. I think it was $400 and something and I'm very very pleased with it. I use it all the time and it's quite fast I think.. I'm thrilled with it.. no complaints at all.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    hesaias wrote:
    I am working on getting my first DSLR. I am looking at the Canon Rebel Digital, and already have 2 canon lenses. They are just cheap lenese, and will do until I can get a better one. I have been looking at the Sigma lenses, and was wondering what the general take on them is. I do not have a ton to spend, it may take a while until I even get the cash to get another lens. I shoot sports at night/inside mostly an was looking at the APO 135-400mm F4.5-5.6.
    Perhaps the 70-200 f/2.8 sigma?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    I saw that one a little while after my post. I could use it with a mulitplier, no?
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    see this post and this one.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    Does the Teleconverter affect aperature? I am looking at specificaly shooting HS football (dusk to night) Little league football (day/dusk/night) HS and Little league basketball (indoor, med light, fast action)

I am thinking the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with a 2.0 teleconverter on a Canon Rebel XT DSLR will fit my needs nicely and not make a begger out of me. I wanna shoot stuff thats sellable to a local newspaper if I get a really sweet shot, but mostly for my own satisfaction.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 16, 2005
    hesaias wrote:
    Does the Teleconverter affect aperature? I am looking at specificaly shooting HS football (dusk to night) Little league football (day/dusk/night) HS and Little league basketball (indoor, med light, fast action)

I am thinking the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with a 2.0 teleconverter on a Canon Rebel XT DSLR will fit my needs nicely and not make a begger out of me. I wanna shoot stuff thats sellable to a local newspaper if I get a really sweet shot, but mostly for my own satisfaction.

Sure. Anything you stick between the lens and subject will have some
    impact on the exposure.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    I have the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC and I absolutly love it!
    Very sharp from corner to corner, from wide open to stopped down.
    Very good colors, I seldom need any postprocessing at all.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    hesaias wrote:
    I wanna shoot stuff thats sellable to a local newspaper if I get a really sweet shot, but mostly for my own satisfaction.
    I use the 70-200 without a teleconverter and sell to the local newspaper (and parents) just fine. Photoshop and a good noise-reducing program are your friends. :-) You could start there and add the converter if you think you need it.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 19, 2005
    Moving to the camera forum for a bit wider coverage.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Concerning the teleconverter and exposure, with the 1.4 you lose one stop and with the 2.0 you lose 2 stops.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer