Wine Making and a bad back

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited October 26, 2005 in Holy Macro
Not sure these are "cool shots", but they are in the category "everything else".

So I went this morning to work with my wine coop. We were pressing Syrah. The afternoon crew was going to press the Cab.

There I am, working with 3 men all 10-20 years older than me, and I'M the one to throw my back out. No, mom, I didn't use my legs to lift.

Anyway, I was planning on taking a bunch of pics, but only got a few off before I became infirmed and had to go home with my tail between my legs.

Pressing the Syrah:

40126443-L.jpg

40126540-L.jpg

And the winemaster and general guru of our little coop, Dennis, making notes on the wine.

40126365-L.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    I wasn't going to post this one, because something obviously was seriously wrong with the camera ;):D

Anyway, it's one of those shots you take that you shouldn't like, but still you do. As messed up as it is, I love it like one of my own. Well, maybe not love, but you get the idea...

40130562-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Hey there David
    DavidTO wrote:
    Not sure these are "cool shots", but they are in the category "everything else".

So I went this morning to work with my wine coop. We were pressing Syrah. The afternoon crew was going to press the Cab.

There I am, working with 3 men all 10-20 years older than me, and I'M the one to throw my back out. No, mom, I didn't use my legs to lift.

Anyway, I was planning on taking a bunch of pics, but only got a few off before I became infirmed and had to go home with my tail between my legs.

Pressing the Syrah:
    And the winemaster and general guru of our little coop, Dennis, making notes on the wine.
    Sorry to hear you did yourself an injury while you were out enjoying yourself.
    Looks like you guys make quite a large quantity, so how many barrels do you make in a session??

One of the couriers at work makes his own wine, and makes his own labels too, they look really good.......he doesn't sell them, he makes them as gifts for family and friends.

My father and all my brothers brew their own beer and bottle it, it's quite cheap to make, and I have not hear anyone who drinks it say they don't like it.

Hope you recover soon.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited October 16, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Sorry to hear you did yourself an injury while you were out enjoying yourself.
    Looks like you guys make quite a large quantity, so how many barrels do you make in a session??

One of the couriers at work makes his own wine, and makes his own labels too, they look really good.......he doesn't sell them, he makes them as gifts for family and friends.

My father and all my brothers brew their own beer and bottle it, it's quite cheap to make, and I have not hear anyone who drinks it say they don't like it.

Hope you recover soon.......... Skippy (Australia)

That was 1300 lbs. of Syrah grapes, and about 1000 lbs. of Cab. We also had 75 gallons of white going, too. It's a lot of wine. I have a 1/2 share, and walk away with 6-8 cases a year.

I used to make beer, too. A lot of fun. And tasty.

Back's still jacked up. My wife had to help me get dressed this morning. :(
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    The closeups of the wine (do you call it wine at this point in the process?) coming out of the press are really nice. I can smell it.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 25, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    The closeups of the wine (do you call it wine at this point in the process?) coming out of the press are really nice. I can smell it.

Thanks. Yeah, I call it wine, I just don't call it wine I would drink yet. Fresh off the skins, a week and a half of fermentation...it's got a long way to go to be drinkable...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Interesting!
    Did know you're the winery owner:-)
    Sorry about your back!
    Hope you'll get better by the Nov 6 for the Civil War event:-)
    Cheers!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 25, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Did know you're the winery owner:-)
    Sorry about your back!
    Hope you'll get better by the Nov 6 for the Civil War event:-)
    Cheers!

Nik, you'll have to come over and share a glass, er, I mean bottle...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Just say when:-)
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nik, you'll have to come over and share a glass, er, I mean bottle...
    And you right about the amount:D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 26, 2005
    As I rode through the Sonoma County wine country this weekend, the odor
    of wine making was everywhere. Wonderful.

Coming from the press is a good shot.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?