5D still good enough ?

2»

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    sethny wrote: »
    the 5D classic is still on top , better than the 5D Mark II , better than the D3 and D3s , better than the D700.
    In terms of "body" is a 20D on steroids with few intentional limitations compared to the so-called "professional" models : the big wheel compensating in AV/TV , no voice memos.
    Unlike the 5D Mark II it sports a decent AF engine (not fancy but capable of producing steady in-focus pictures also using the outer sensors). The AF (at least the center sensor) is even better then my 1Ds Mark II in low light.
    It looks small-ish to me without a battery grip.
    But the pictures are stunning, excellent colors after you adjust the (great) white balance shift (for both raw and jpeg) to take those magentas under control.
    Only a D3x, or a sony a900/850 or (of course) all the MF hassy Phase etc can do better.

Interesting comments sethny, thanks!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Viffer06Viffer06 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    harjtt wrote: »
    I've got a photographer friend that currently shoots with a 40D and has a selection of lenses inc. 28mm f2.8 and 24-70f2.8. Now her predicament is that she's currently finding some clients asking whether shes using a FF DSLR and specifically a 5DMKII at the minimum. She was looking at several options including buying a 5DMKII or even switching to a D700 as she's worried that she will continue to loose potential new work. My own thoughts were that she should hold off from getting the 5DMK2 or even the D700 and rent them as both are due replacements soon or alternatively pickup a used 5DMk1 until Canon announce the MK111.

Is the 5D MK1 still good enough and a big enough step up from the 40D in terms of IQ and specifically high ISO and AF performance or should she just bite the bullet and get the MK2 knowing that there's a MKIII just around the corner?

Cheers

Harj

First of all, 5D is good enough****

Is your friend showcasing her equipments to Clients rather than her images? It'll be interesting to see a wedding photographer showing his bag of gears to potential client at a local starbucks rather than his/her portfolio and album proofs.

*** Every camera has specific strong points. If you're shooting sports (moving subjects and lots of action - NO this is not the camera else it's good.)
  • sethnysethny Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Viffer06 wrote: »
    First of all, 5D is good enough****

*** Every camera has specific strong points. If you're shooting sports (moving subjects and lots of action - NO this is not the camera else it's good.)

well ... for photojournalists maybe (and they file on the spot without touching or processing anything)

I used to shoot sports (professionally) ,soccer , mostly night, with a 5D classic and 85 1.2 and the resulting production was superb. No problem tracking. (pro-soccer is as fast as football, maybe faster than football).

The high speed shooting helps (no questions) but anticipating the shot helps more in terms of composition. In my opinion of course. Lemme explain: when you gun-machine you can easily miss the "shot" . That sort of thing.

In any case by the time I was using the 5D I was shooting mainly with a 1D Mark II (and N) with a 300 2.8 (because 400mm is the minimum for soccer (the 1D are 1.3x crop cameras) -by the way ask the D3 pro-shooters how they like the 400mm Nikon (the price I mean Laughing.gif).

Back to the pictures the 5D is (today) second to D3x and a900 only (again in my opinion) : because of the voice memo I had to get a 1series body (because I shoot mainly products now) but in terms of "pictures" the 5D gives the same exact resolution of the 1Ds Mark II. (I know.. I did test it L O L).And allow me to keep the 1DsIII and 5D Mark II out of this (I have my reasons, believe me)

I shoot products with a 1Ds Mark II and Nikon D2Xs now (the Nikon is great for other reasons... not pertinent with this thread). But I still miss the versatility of the 5D. (and the fact that it didn't cost an arm and a leg like the others)
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2011
    Thanks for everyones advice on whether the 5D was still worth was good enough... Just a wee heads up and to let you know that she's picked up a 5D MK1 (low shutter count as well), at a pretty decent price (£650) and she'd decided to wait and see whether a Canon announce a MK111 before splashing out.

So far she seems to be happy - a nice improvement over her 40D was her initial thoughts, and shes going to be using it for a couple of events within the couple of weeks.

Harj
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 17, 2011
    harjtt wrote: »
    Thanks for everyones advice on whether the 5D was still worth was good enough... Just a wee heads up and to let you know that she's picked up a 5D MK1 (low shutter count as well), at a pretty decent price (£650) and she'd decided to wait and see whether a Canon announce a MK111 before splashing out.

So far she seems to be happy - a nice improvement over her 40D was her initial thoughts, and shes going to be using it for a couple of events within the couple of weeks.

Harj

Tell her "congratulations" on the new (to her) camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    Having much experience with the 40D, 5D and 5DII, the main shortfall with the 5D is the lack of sensor cleaning, watch out for dust at narrow apertures!