One More - A bit softer

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 31, 2011 in People
Here is another shot of my wife modeling as a trainer. Am I a lucky guy or what? Well, with this one, I tried for a softer look than the others. I brought the lights in closer and didn't use the High Pass filter.

00133-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    God she's gorgeous Cuban.

I like the soft treatment better. I didn't mind the skin smoothing in the others but this one shows her off much more naturally plus I think her personality comes out more strongly here.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Thanks John. I met her when she was 15, I was 17 and we've been an item ever since... 23 years. iloveyou.gif I was either one smart 17 year old or one lucky little bastard. The best thing is that she is smarter than she is pretty, which is usually great, but sometimes not so good for me because I can't get away with anything. thumb.gif Maybe it's that I fall in love with her more everyday but I swear the older she gets, the more beautiful she becomes. She just turned 38 on the 14th and people always mistake her for a 20-something. Maybe it's her Asian genes. Who knows. I'm not complaining. clap.gif

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    I think you should try 10 or 15 lighting set ups and/with different poses if you can get your wife to stand still for it.

Obviously you are having trouble getting the lighting right and we are happy to look at as many samples of your wife posing as it takes.....in our efforts to help you out of course......

Seriously, I think the light looks good. Looks like just about a perfect mix to me. But if your are still working on the boot camp style this is not really that style of light.....you probably already know that :).

Oh, and the skin looks just right for this style.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    That made me Laughing.gif, literally.

No... this wasn't for the boot camp look. Just went for some normal low key lighting. I think I put the cart before the horse with the boot camp stuff and I thought I should first try to master shooting a normal portrait with my new softboxes before getting too creative.

For the next boot camp style lighting set, I'm going to remove one of the baffles on the softboxes to hardened the light a bit. Try both, with the inner baffle removed and then again with the outer baffle. I want to see how that changes the light. Will post the pics once I do and I'll remember to post less of me and more of my wife.

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    ....remember to add a non buffered light from above or below for the boot camp look...brings out that ripped detail.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    If by less of you, you mean NONE and all of her, I'm down with that.

No offense Cuban but you just don't interest me a whole lot as a subject . Laughing.gif As a commenter, now that's a different story.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    1 :lurk
    2 :D
    3 iloveyou.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    this is terrible..back to the drawing board. will definitely need to see different poses/outfits
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    I am seriously jealous. :D

You are progressing and doing wonderful work.

Now as to the boot camp................what about wet and or oiled bodies along with the sharper light?

Sam
    edited August 30, 2011
    Sam... I'm one step ahead of you but that's where my wife drew the line. "You're not spraying that crap on me", were her exact words. I haven't given up though. She said it with a smile so that means there's still a chance. However, when I do the actual shoot with the trainers, there will definitely be some spritzing going on.

My Smug Site
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Perfection!!!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    For a good sweat spray mix some water and glycerine 1 to 1. You can get it at drug stores.
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Thanks John. I met her when she was 15, I was 17 and we've been an item ever since... 23 years. iloveyou.gif I was either one smart 17 year old or one lucky little bastard. The best thing is that she is smarter than she is pretty, which is usually great, but sometimes not so good for me because I can't get away with anything. thumb.gif Maybe it's that I fall in love with her more everyday but I swear the older she gets, the more beautiful she becomes. She just turned 38 on the 14th and people always mistake her for a 20-something. Maybe it's her Asian genes. Who knows. I'm not complaining. clap.gif

From another Cuban:
    Our wives don't get older, they get "WISER".
    WE GET OLDER.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ne_nau.gifscratch

Great Job.thumb.gif
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    I like the softer version much better. The high pass filter on the prior set gave your (extremely beautiful) wife the "plastic skin" look. The softer pic is much more natural & flattering. I love the lighting.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Stunning! You two are a gorgeous couple!

Hmmm...I'm rethinking my idea to share a bit of what I shot today. No comparison, really. Totally different style. But, I do wish I had your lighting chops about now.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited August 30, 2011
    Please do share Elaine. I'd love to see them and I think others would too. We're all at some point along the learning curve. I'd be more than happy to share what I can to get you further along.

My Smug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Her eyes look particularly great in this image. Skin looks awesome as always!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Please do share Elaine. I'd love to see them and I think others would too. We're all at some point along the learning curve. I'd be more than happy to share what I can to get you further along.

I posted some over in the sports section, since they aren't only people shots. thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited August 31, 2011
    Will check them out.

My Smug Site