Canon info plz

basicblackbasicblack Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited August 31, 2011 in Cameras
Can anyone give me any input on how the Canon Rebel 450 XSI compares to the new Canon EOS Rebel T3? I don't want to buy a plastic body camera. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Well the T3 is nice and plastic-y.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 30, 2011
    All of the Canon digital "Rebel" series cameras share a similar construction of a fiber-filled, structural plastic "shell", covering a welded stainless-steel chassis.

I still have 3 - Canon dRebel 350D/XT cameras and I have used them with lenses up to a 500mm, f4.5 without any apparent flexing or damage. I would not give them the same hard use as my Canon 1D MKII bodies, and I wouldn't expect them to hold up to real professional use either. For general photography it's not too much of an issue.

The bigger differences, to me anyway, are the lesser AF performance and weaker shutter performance of the Rebels, in that order.

If you really need a durable Canon body there are none better than the 1D and 1Ds series bodies. These also have the best AF system, in terms of speed, accuracy and sensitivity. They use a cast and machined magnesium alloy chassis and body.

Next up is the Canon 7D, which is extremely capable in good light and not too bad in poorer light (but not as good as the 1D/1Ds bodies.) It's also a very durable chassis and body, not too far distant from the highest-level professional bodies.

What is it you really want to use the camera for? That will pretty much determine the best fit in Canon bodies (if that's you're desire).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • basicblackbasicblack Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    All of the Canon digital "Rebel" series cameras share a similar construction of a fiber-filled, structural plastic "shell", covering a welded stainless-steel chassis.

I still have 3 - Canon dRebel 350D/XT cameras and I have used them with lenses up to a 500mm, f4.5 without any apparent flexing or damage. I would not give them the same hard use as my Canon 1D MKII bodies, and I wouldn't expect them to hold up to real professional use either. For general photography it's not too much of an issue.

The bigger differences, to me anyway, are the lesser AF performance and weaker shutter performance of the Rebels, in that order.

If you really need a durable Canon body there are none better than the 1D and 1Ds series bodies. These also have the best AF system, in terms of speed, accuracy and sensitivity. They use a cast and machined magnesium alloy chassis and body.

Next up is the Canon 7D, which is extremely capable in good light and not too bad in poorer light (but not as good as the 1D/1Ds bodies.) It's also a very durable chassis and body, not too far distant from the highest-level professional bodies.

What is it you really want to use the camera for? That will pretty much determine the best fit in Canon bodies (if that's you're desire).

Hi Ziggy and thank you for the great input! I want it to shoot Raw around town buildings, street photography, some backyard stuff and some close ups. My Nikon D50 has seen its day now and the lenses are not compatible with the new Nikon cams out. I've really been itching for a change over to Canon. Thanks
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    The T3 is a step below the XSi in the lineup, but the XSi is much older. For the price of a T3, I'd much rather have a 40D ($400 or so, used) or something similar. It's a step up in the lineup, better AF, more fps, better handling. I can't remember if the Nikon D50 was in the same market as the Canon Rebels or the xxD Series, but I generally avoid recommending the Rebels. They're cabable cameras for some tasks, but the xxD cameras, such as the 30D, 40D, or 50D, are much better performers. Honestly, after being so used to the feel of my 1DII, when I hold a Rebel it feels awkward. But cams such as the 40D fit my hand very nicely.

You could go into a camera store and hold a Rebel. They'll probably have a T3. See how it feels in comparison to the Nikon D50. Then hold a 60D, and see ow it feels. If the 60D feels better but it's out of your price range, the 40D and 50D are excellent options.
    edited August 30, 2011
    The T3 is a step below the XSi in the lineup, but the XSi is much older. For the price of a T3, I'd much rather have a 40D ($400 or so, used) or something similar. It's a step up in the lineup, better AF, more fps, better handling. I can't remember if the Nikon D50 was in the same market as the Canon Rebels or the xxD Series, but I generally avoid recommending the Rebels. They're cabable cameras for some tasks, but the xxD cameras, such as the 30D, 40D, or 50D, are much better performers. Honestly, after being so used to the feel of my 1DII, when I hold a Rebel it feels awkward. But cams such as the 40D fit my hand very nicely.

You could go into a camera store and hold a Rebel. They'll probably have a T3. See how it feels in comparison to the Nikon D50. Then hold a 60D, and see ow it feels. If the 60D feels better but it's out of your price range, the 40D and 50D are excellent options.

Hi and thanks for the help. I am located in the middle of nowhere so no camera shops near at all. Faithful to B&H for many years so far. I am now looking at the D series since you recommended it and seeing some difference. Thanks again
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    There is a huge gap between the rebels and the D series. Among the people I shoot with, literally no amateurs have D series bodies (although there are loads of amateurs who do have them), and even many pros use cheaper cameras. IMHO, a D body may not be the best investment for you, given that the additional $$ means not buying a large amount of other stuff, like lenses, a tripod, a flash...

From my experience, I agree with the statement that the step up from the Rebels--the old 40D and now the 50D and 7D, what used to be called the xxD series--makes a considerable difference. In a properly exposed and focused image, you are not going to see a difference in quality between a camera in that series and the comparable Rebel with the same sensor. However, the xxD bodies are more durable, ergonomically much better unless you have small hands, have much better controls, and have a number of other advantages that make them easier to use and make it more likely that you will get the image properly focused and exposed. The 7D is considerably better than the 40D and 50D, but the latter two are very competent cameras. I have had a 50D for a few years, and while I would probably buy a 7D if mine were destroyed or stolen, I feel no particular pressure to upgrade.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    I personally shoot a 7d, with my xsi as my backup. I'm not sure there's a "huge gap" between the Rebels and everything else, but I agree with Ziggy that the Rebel has slower AF and the handling is less manipulatable (is that a word?!). I use my xsi with a grip, and it's comfortable in the hand and, in average use, it has alwasy felt plenty sturdy to me; I never felt that it was somehow going to fall apart in my hands (and I still happily use it as my 2nd/backup camera). The main handling advantage above the Rebels is the thumbwheel/joystick combo on the back - makes it much easier to choose settings, particularly if you shoot manual. As far as performance, you can get great pictures out of any of them (and many of the Rebels share a sensor with the same generation xxd camera), but there is a noticeable difference in AF acquisition speed and accuracy as well as "bells and whistles" features which the entry-level cameras don't have.

I think any of these newer cameras will feel like a step up from your current, older camera.
    edited August 31, 2011
    I want to thank all of you for your input and support. With my little knowledge of digital shooting I chose a refurbished XSI (450). I think I will be happy with it and the purposes I use to shoot with. I feel the D series is a little out of my league right now but one day in the future. Again I really appreciate all of the help, now I have the chore of selecting lenses!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    If you don't want the kit lenses, just jump straight to the Tamron 17-50 - best sub-$400 (under $300 used), general-purpose lens on the market. Highly recommended thumb.gif
    edited August 31, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    If you don't want the kit lenses, just jump straight to the Tamron 17-50 - best sub-$400 (under $300 used), general-purpose lens on the market. Highly recommended thumb.gif

sure well take a look at it....thanks.