A Very Willing Subject

briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
edited September 1, 2011 in People
My wife’s young friend of the family recently visited for the week. She was a very willing subject and kept asking if I would take pictures of her (highly unusual in this house). Of course I obliged. She was a lot of fun to work with.
These are some from the first bunch- straight out casual. There are some full-length, wide angle shots and more dressed up ones I will post later.

_8176219web.jpg

_8176223web.jpg

_8176224web.jpg

_8176225web.jpg

_8176331web.jpg

_8176189web.jpg

_8176209web.jpg
"Photography is not about the thing photographed.
It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album

Comments

• wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    I like number 1 the most, the gazing look into the camera :)
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Thanks for your comment.

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    good casual stuff..the light is quite nice. #3 though..tosser for me
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited August 31, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    good casual stuff..the light is quite nice. #3 though..tosser for me
    It looks like that's what she's about to say! rolleyes1.gif

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    1 & 7 for me. Love the way you capture eyes - they're always really sharp and sparkling thumb.gif
    edited August 31, 2011
    Thank you, divamum. I always value your opinion. I'm interested to see what you think of the next round of shots I'll be posting soon. More full length and simple with chair, floor near open window. Hopefully not too simple and boring. :D

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    The thing that I really like is that in several you have a touch of the Rembrandt lighting thing going on. That has to be my all time favorite way to light a face. Wish I was as good as you at it.

Nice job.
    edited September 1, 2011
    Thanks, Bryce. My favorite lighting also. Certainly your knowledge of lighting techniques in photography surpasses mine. I just apply what I know from my art background.

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    You know, Brian, I think I've figured out why these don't quite nail a "look" as much as some I've seen from you: it's a mixture of a kind of formal(ish) headshot comp and light, with a very casual, un-made-up look. They're not "bad", it's just that the comps and lighting don't match the very casual clothing/hair/makeup. That's not to say that every shot has to be fashion-perfect, but I think I just find myself missing something to complement the casualness. Maybe I'm not sure what they're trying to "say" about the subject?

Rambling. This probably makes no sense at all - first cup of coffee and brain not quite there yet. Photographically I like the light, the poses, the super-sparkle-dust in the eyes... but there's "something" missing... I'm just not sure what it is!! Look forward to seeing the rest of them - I have a feeling I'm going to love the next batch you describe which will add some context!!! thumb.gif
    edited September 1, 2011
    Interesting point. Maybe the facial expressions alone aren't enough to carry it off. I wanted it to be about the light and the face with no commercial implication but maybe it has to be more dramatic and compelling in order to succeed?
    I've gone through this before with art. When I first tried my hand at Illustration (coming from a fine art bkgd) I showed my work to a well known illustrator. It was a painting of a girl in a room looking out a window. First thing he asked was "why is she looking out the window?" My reply was "I dont' know, does there have to be a reason?" That put it in a nutshell for me- the difference between the two disciplines. Music was always easier for me to figure out! rolleyes1.gif
    I think I'm rambling.