Options

Finding a Lawyer

wmcalderawmcaldera Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I did a few quick searches and didn't find what I am looking for so I thought I'd ask. I apologize if this topic has already been covered here.

Background: My wife does freelance graphic design, I do freelance photography in my spare time. I'd like to eventually build enough business to open a studio and go full time but I want to lay the foundation of good business practices early as we pursue this path. I'm not a member of the PPA yet. I mainly do portraits for individuals but occasionally do sporting events, and commercial shoots.

:dealI need legal forms for the photography and a contract for the freelance graphic design work. I don't want to just pull a document from the internet and assume that it covers me without having a lawyer look over it. However, I don't mind starting with a generic form and having a lawyer make it specific for me.

1: What is a good source for a generic form, does the PPA have one (I'm thinking it would be cheaper to start with a template and have a lawyer adapt it), and how do I find a Business lawyer for creative professionals that is familiar with copyright, licensing, intellectual property laws and state laws for my area of operation (TX) ?

2. What kind of verbiage should be included. I.e. photographer owns copyright, maintains right to use image and likeness to promote photography business.

3. When is a good time to incorporate and which method (LLC, S Corp) is best for a small photography and graphic design business.

Thanks for your help.

Comments