Getting a whiter background?

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited September 2, 2011 in People
Here is a shot I just took. Is there a post processing trick on how I can make my white background "whiter"? It's not as white as I'd like it to be, and I know that I could up my power on my background lights and result in a whiter background, but without re-shooting is there some magic I'm missing?

Happy to have C&C on the photo itself as well. Thanks.

20110831-ASC0583-Edit-L.jpg

Comments

• mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Sure, here's a quick selection, then refined edge (outputting to a new layer w/mask, then transferring that mask to an adjustment layer) then increasing brightness on the background. Leaving everything else alone. This getting closer?

Over all, nice headshot I think
  • CoreyDCoreyD Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    A simple technique in photoshop would be to select the background only, pretty easy in this example (I would use the Quick Selection Tool in CS5), then a couple of adjustments layers: Curves, move the right adjustment slider to the left to "brighten" the background and you could also use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to remove any color cast if you in fact want it "whiter". Neither of these would effect the subject in the photo.
    The shortest distance between two points is........grossly over rated!
    http://www.deardsphotography.com
  • CoreyDCoreyD Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Mike beat me to it. Laughing.gif
    The shortest distance between two points is........grossly over rated!
    http://www.deardsphotography.com
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Thanks for your help, works like a charm.
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Nice Adam!
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    If you shot raw and used LR to process the raw, it could simply be done with the Highlight slider........easy peasy.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    Yes, but it would also blow out his eyes. I wish LR had masking. Adjustment brush is close, but not enough parameters.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    Not to beat a dead horse buy you can use the dodge tool, set to midtones and just paint the BG. Quick and it works well.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site