In the Presence of a Living Legend

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited September 9, 2011 in Sports
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of photographing a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seminar taught by a living legend in the sport, Master Flavio Behring. As a child and young adult he studied and taught under the originator of the art, Helio Gracie. At 72 years old Master Flavio is now a 9th degree red belt and one of the top ranking Masters alive today. He moves with such balance and power that it inspired me to try Jiu Jitsu myself. His stories and methods are fantastic. He is the real deal.

All of these were shot at ISO 8000 in ambient light (a mix of overhead gym lights and a large window with daytime sunlight). Along with the red, yellow and white walls it makes for some very challenging light at this gym.

What do you guys think?

i-3kT8HxS-XL.jpg

i-bc2bPj6-XL.jpg

i-NjmLrpJ-XL.jpg

i-5xdWWTQ-XL.jpg

i-WdP4hHj-XL.jpg

i-kVgfpw4-XL.jpg

#7 The Masters learning from the Master. Many stories told in the instructor seminar. Very cool to see and hear this stuff.
i-f26GsGd-XL.jpg

Comments

• JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    You screwed up and put an extra 0 in that 8000 ISO, right? How are you procesing?
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Nope. That is correct. Tiny bit of NR and sharpening in LR3. Used the black point and recovery sliders to balance the highlights and blacks so they are clipping just a bit.
  • SyphoniusSyphonius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I think they're awesome, even more so at 8000.

And, I'm sorry, but I can't help but hear "Hey, how you doin'?" on #3. He is just totally cool and in control.
    Just a hobbyist with never enough time to shoot.
    SmugMug
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Man some of these reminded me of when I was training Jeet Kune Do and my training partner one day was having problems doing a straight arm bar properly. It led to me spending 5 minutes lying on my back being repeatedly armbarred by the instructor as well as my partner over and over again till he got it. Was not one of the highlights of my life.

The photos look great and it looks like a really cool experience. Did you get in on the action that day at all or only shoot photos?
    edited September 1, 2011
    I did get to try a few things over the 2 days I took photos. But mostly I watched and listened. Master Flavio also taught 2 of our regular classes. So in those classes I took no pics and just got to practice. I also learned a few top secret things in the instructor part of the seminar, a few of which have worked well for me!

As always, thank you for the comments guys!
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    The set it an amazing set, but even more amazing that they were taken at ISO 8000! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    Personaly I couldn't give a crap about the techinicals.
    If they were grainy it wouldn't take away from the action and emotion you have captured which is what photography is all about not the bloody ISO the image was captured at!

I love it how the guy looks so calm and happy in 3 where it looks like hes trying to pick up the chick in blue by saying "See how easy it is for me to break this guys neck, BTW, what you doing after class?

And in 1 and 5 it's like " Now to really get the neck to snap good and lound, what you have to do, and stay with me here....." with the concerntraion and apparent detail to stuffing the other guy up good.

Well done with the pics. you have captured the emotion, expression, feeling and drama remarkably well in a subject I think would be very difficult to get images of this quality from.
    edited September 8, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    Personaly I couldn't give a crap about the techinicals.
    If they were grainy it wouldn't take away from the action and emotion you have captured which is what photography is all about not the bloody ISO the image was captured at!

Well done with the pics. you have captured the emotion, expression, feeling and drama remarkably well in a subject I think would be very difficult to get images of this quality from.

Thanks man! This sport has been a challenge for me to shoot. It is slow then very fast. Things happen in a very subtle way. If you don't know what you are watching it is hard to pick up on what is going down before it happens. Then it might be too late.

We have another moto event this weekend. We have made a few tweaks to the setup and will be using 3 viewing stations this time! We also added a big easy up for shade for the screens. I will let you know how it goes.
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Thanks man! This sport has been a challenge for me to shoot. It is slow then very fast. Things happen in a very subtle way. If you don't know what you are watching it is hard to pick up on what is going down before it happens. Then it might be too late.

We have another moto event this weekend. We have made a few tweaks to the setup and will be using 3 viewing stations this time! We also added a big easy up for shade for the screens. I will let you know how it goes.

It's all about the fine tuning. Sounds like you have made improvements from your experience last time.
    Hope it goes well for you and I'm sure it will.
    next time out, add another 3 Vstations. clap.gif