"Not Again Dad!"

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited September 3, 2011 in People
For those that don't know me, I feel compelled to include my mini-bio to provide some context. I still feel kind of new around here. I got a typical beginners setup (D5100 and a 50mm 1.8) in May. Since then, I've shot over 17,000 images (~160 a day). I got two flashes last week and I'm diving in to the strobist world of home made modifiers and cheap speedlights. I'm hooked.

I simply won't quit until I can produce work similar to the quality level you guys are producing. That will probably take me years and a several equipment upgrades. However, what I crave now is feedback. Really _honest_ feedback. "Gee Ryan, this image sucks ass." is a totally valid bit of detail for me. Of course, if I do something right tell me so I can do it again.

C&C very much appreciated.
i-nmxdFF3-XL.jpg
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Wow, a great capture !! Very nice job!!clap.gifclap
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Is it me, or is it just a little soft around ... nah, only joking. Fabulous shot. I would be proud of that!
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Very nice! Love the simplicity and the golden light peeking through the spaces in the fence. thumb.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Lovely! I'm not sure about the golden light - i like seeing that the golden ambient is there, but I did find my eye went to that before the pretty subject. Because she's "golden" too, it is a little bit of competition for her face.

What happens if you set her at a slight angle to the fence?

Very nice "first effort" - you're doing just fine!! thumb.gif

PS I just made a set of speedlight strip softboxes for about $15 the pair. If you're interested in building your own modifiers, these may interest.... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=204782
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Great light control and really nice model.
    Might have pulled her closer and away from the fence to keep that shadow from falling on it. Would likely have led to a very cool blurred background between the fence and golden light
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Well I think this an excellent attempt!

What type of modifier did you use here?
    If you prescribe to the Scott Robert Lim chain of thought, you don't need expensive lights to do pro work.
    All you need is the knowledge of placement, ratios and technique...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 1, 2011
    You're off to a good start. You may want to turn her 45 deg to the camera and have her look over her shoulder. Pay attention to her nose...don't let it break the plane of her face. Shooting people head on usually doesn't have good results. One thing that "saves" this shot is her head is tilted ever so slightly.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    For just starting this is a very nice catch. Your focus and coloring is very pleasing. My nit would be women want to have a slim face. You do this by moving the light more to the left to create a shadow on her left side of her face. You can see the start of a shadow just to her left side of the nose. You would like to move that shadow all the way to the edge of her cheek. This is called a Rembrandt light pattern. Google Rembrant and see if you see that lighting example under the eye.

Small catch lights in the eye mean small light source. A larger catch light makes the eyes pop. Large lights are softer especially in close.

You did a great job, keep doing what you are doing. Your on the right path.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    My light setup for this shot: LP160 on a VAL (male version) with a 60" umbrella (only thing I got right now) camera left @~45. My VAL was short, would have preferred it a touch higher. Another LP160 on the ground camera right, bare. That's why the harsh shadows under her chin. I agree regarding the light behind the fence. I was trying to capture it, but it was too hot. I was already at max sync and was in the "moment" of the shoot and didn't want to adjust lights. Brought it down quite a bit in PS, but still ended up a bit hot. i wanted to try to capture some of the texture of this old wood fence we have, which is why I tried to stick her up against it.

My regular non-VAL light stands are apparently on the UPS truck today. Hopefully that will help a bit with the lighting setups by making them more consistent. The VALs will be happy too. They are getting sick of it.

I'll be honest, I am having a hard time visualizing how the subject should sit at a 45 to the camera. Anyone have an example? I want to try to understand what you mean.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Have the subject sit facing you. Then have her turn till her shoulders are at a 45 to your position. Get the main light behind the front shoulder to give contour to the body.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I am curious as to what that gold lighting is coming from behind the fence..? What people mean about 45 degrees away, in my mind, I ask my subject to point their toes or if sitting, their knees a bit away from me, and the slightly turn the head back towards me. You could practice this with a doll on a bar stool ( what I use) and you can also experiment with moving the subject closer or away from the background.
    I love to photograph young children in a casual manner like this and when I can get a tight close up into those big eyes that just stare right through you, I don't mind catching them straight on as you did, at that age or younger it seems little kids can look so open, so honest, so completely innocent, and if you can both eyes in focus straight on, I say go for it !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited September 1, 2011
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    I am curious as to what that gold lighting is coming from behind the fence..?

The light is a sunset. It was kind of a cloudy day so there was a lot of atmospheric scatter. I kept the shutter speed at max sync to kill off the ambient, which was still pretty bright. I think it worked.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    honestly it is a great shot. but the light is touch flat. you have 60 in umbrella yet it must 5 feet away..bring it in..a LOT..so it is 18 inches away or just out of frame. Watch the quality of light change when you take that shot
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited September 2, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    honestly it is a great shot. but the light is touch flat. you have 60 in umbrella yet it must 5 feet away..bring it in..a LOT..so it is 18 inches away or just out of frame. Watch the quality of light change when you take that shot

I understand what you mean. I think the issue wasn't the placement of the umbrella (which was quite close), but the relation of the flash to the umbrella scrim. My VAL was holding the flash very close to the scrim, thus reducing the relative size of the light source. He may have accidentally hit the zoom as well. Almost turned it in to a bare flash doing it. When I zoom wayyy in on the image, I can see the square shape of light, and the feint highlight of the umbrella, not lit at all. Had the entire umbrella been lit, I think I could have nailed much better catch lights, and had more modeling on the face.

I got my stands today. Hopefully the issue you pointed out will not haunt me again.
  • 0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    I like the almost straight on to camera view of a kids face. Seems kids can handle it.. You have the slightest of turn which is enough for the little shadow at the side of the nose, so I like it a lot. Nice work..