Options

Topaz Filters with cs5 or LR3

MarleneMarlene Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited September 1, 2011 in Finishing School
My topaz filters are all for my cs5 photoshop. Lately I have been using LR3 for most of my processing, and then going into cs5 when I want to use Topaz. Anyone use Topaz for LR3? Looking to purchase new b&w and I have stopped to think if I should purchase it for cs5 and keep all there, or should I migrate over to LR3? Thoughts?
:D marlene frankel

A Slice of Life

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    no
    you allready can use it in LR

go to
    preferences
    under external editor ; click > choose
    point at > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Topaz Labs and select tlfusionexpress.exe
    ok

PS
    if you dont have fusion express , get it from their site
    it is free , but required for LR
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Why not just open the files from Lightroom into PS (Edit --> Open in Photoshop) and launch the filters from there? You then have the advantage of doing the work on a separate layer, and using tools like fade, opacity, and masking.

Understand that the Topaz filters (or any 3rd party filters) require LR to render a TIFF or PSD file; the filters can't be applied to the raw file.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    OP allready does that

nothing is ever applied to RAW
    not by LR and not by PS

result stays the same
    PS will also sent back a TIFF to LR
    so , might as well do it directly
    costs nothing but is easier and faster

OP can use her exiting plugins directly from LR
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    Well, the nice thing for the OP is that she has the choice-- Topaz doesn't make a separate "Lightroom only" version of their plugins (I'm looking at YOU, NikSoftware!:soapbox), so gets the benefits of both worlds-- export directly to Topaz Fusion or export to Photoshop and run the filters from there. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    Well, the nice thing for the OP is that she has the choice-- Topaz doesn't make a separate "Lightroom only" version of their plugins (I'm looking at YOU, NikSoftware!:soapbox), so gets the benefits of both worlds-- export directly to Topaz Fusion or export to Photoshop and run the filters from there. thumb.gif
    i dont have Nik software so i cant try , but
    as far as i know , it is compatible

same story for you as above
    in LR preference choose your software > C:\Program Files\Nik Software / ...as external editor
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    i dont have Nik software so i cant try , but
    as far as i know , it is compatible

same story for you as above
    in LR preference choose your software > C:\Program Files\Nik Software / ...as external editor

Nik sells versions of their software that are Lightroom/Aperture only. (i.e. can't be run through Photoshop.)
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    Nik sells versions of their software that are Lightroom/Aperture only. (i.e. can't be run through Photoshop.)
    newer versions work on both , according to their site

http://www.niksoftware.com/dfine/en/entry.php
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    In the end, the processing is no different in LR or PS. ALL 3rd party plug-in’s that process image data have to render an image to process, the Develop module is not open to them. So you can ask for one of these products to do their thing in LR or Photoshop, the net results are the same. The only difference would be what’s easier for you, if you didn’t own say Photoshop but did own LR. Or you had LR and PS but limited RAM and wanted to just work in LR etc.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 1, 2011
    I use CS5 and LR3, as well as several Topaz plug ins.

As Mark pointed out, the advantage of using a plug in in Photoshop, over Lightroom alone, is that you can do it on a Layer, and then mask and blend its results into your image in ways that are just not possible to do in Lightroom only. Since the file sent to LR is a copy of the original RAW file + its LR edits, I don't see much downside to stepping out to CS5 to use the Topaz plug ins. I think having significant amounts of RAM ( greater than 4, or maybe even > 8 Gb RAM ) may be helpful in this situation.

I just added the B&W plug in from Topaz last night as they still were offering a $30 rebate from the $60 price tag.. As pointed out, Fusion Express is needed to run the TA plug ins in LR3, but it is a free download.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin