Options

Another winner from Fujifilm?

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited April 4, 2013 in Cameras
They have just announced the X10:

X10-Front_112-001.jpg

2/3" 12MP CMOS sensor, F2.0-2.8 28-112mm lens with manual zoom, all on a metal body. Looks pretty good.

More info here: http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited September 1, 2011
    Here is the official manufacturer page:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x10/

Yes, this looks like a very nicely specified advanced/enthusiast digicam.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Sexy!
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    geez, I might have to get one and put away my D700 and 24-120 f/4 when traveling.
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Pretty interesting. The X100 has been amazingly popular.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Looks really good. It will be interesting to see how well the viewfinder and AF performs. I see that Fuji claim that the lens/sensor combination will give a nice bokeh. If that's true then Fuji are leaving Nikon and Canon sitting in the dust in this class of camera. The X100 has shown what results can be achieved from smaller sensors.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    This camera has a bigger sensor than most P&S cams. It's very interesting, I really like the direction Fuji is going with the X100 and X10. Nice to see the manual zoom ring.
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Noticed there hasn't been much other discussion of this camera, but being that I just downsized my Pentax DSLR gear to buy one, I thought I'd chime in.

On the news front: firmware v2.0 was released last week. The RAW button has been converted to a Quick Menu, solving some of my early frustration with the menu system (to be fair, there are direct buttons for WB, AF mode, AF point, AE mode, and a programmable Fn button I have set to ISO). There are also some new jpg modes with selective color filters, miniature mode, etc in this firmware that I don't find particularly interesting.

My camera choice. My first 'serious' attempt at taking better photos was with a Canon S5 IS superzoom/bridge camera. Found its limits, eventually bought a Pentax K200D and a bevy of lenses as well as playing with on and off camera flash. Shot some film in there too, with older pentax bodies and lenses. Reality: I'm no savant. I can take a proper exposure, process a digital file, and get a clean, faithful reproduction of what I saw. That's pretty much it.

The X10 ticks all the boxes for me:
    • Feels and works like a real camera. Zoom on lens barrel, external control, no dopey touch screen. Solid build.
    • Fast lens, and not just at wide angle. F/2.8 at 112mm equivalent makes for useful - if not creamy - subject isolation.
    • Optical viewfinder for those occasional times you need one, with a diopter adj.
    • Faithful color reproduction (better than Pentax could ever hope for, particularly skin tones).
    • The EXR sensor is not a gimmick - both the dynamic range mode and signal/noise mode work as advertised. Few clipped highlighs, few noisy scenes at 1600 (3200 less usable). 6MP is plenty for web use and prints up to 8x10.
    • threaded lens barrel, I have a 40-49 step ring on order so I can use my existing filter stash.
    I'll update this once I've spent some more time with it, but 10 days into the experience, I'm satisfied.

A couple of samples.

EXR S/N mode:

DSCF8097edited-1-XL.jpg

EXR DR mode (sun is setting behind the trees on the left, I pulled the shadows up 1 stop in post, from a jpg)

DSCF8252edited-1-L.jpg

Full-res Av mode shot (F/4, ISO 100), cropped to 16x9 after the fact.

DSCF8236edited-1-XL.jpg

It does not perform miracles, but it does an admirable job in challenging conditions while being a joy to use. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    Noticed there hasn't been much other discussion of this camera, but being that I just downsized my Pentax DSLR gear to buy one, I thought I'd chime in.

It does not perform miracles, but it does an admirable job in challenging conditions while being a joy to use. thumb.gif
    Grainbelt, are you still liking the X10? I need to replace a dead Panasonic, and am thinking of stepping up a notch... ear.gif
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    Yep. Shopping for the small ef-x20 flash to go with it. A definite keeper. The x20 (x10 replacement) is out now and has some nice upgrades - info line in the viewfinder, revised sensor.