Options

New printer!

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited September 2, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
For a couple years I have been printing with an Epson 2880 which I really love. There are a few things about it that bug me. Swapping blacks is the big one, but it really isn't that "bad. Otherwise it is a fantastic printer. I got it with some killer Epson rebate and it was $400.

So the other day I see a post on FB from my camera store Pictureline in SLC about another KILLER Epson rebate for the 4900. $1000 OFF!!!! What the hell. This is like my 2880 all over again. It is like I have to get it because it is almost 1/2 price.
So the big upgrades are, 2 blacks, orange, and green ink for more gamut. And the big one is a roll feed with an automatic cutter. It can also have the roll feed loaded with one media type and use another in the tray. And I think also load single sheets from the back?? This is really cool. So I can do something like 10" wide luster in the roll feed to crank out 8x10s and 5x7s or 10x20s cut. Then have photo rag loaded in the tray up to 17x24" then leave the back open for whatever! It will make my brain and wallet explode with all the options!!:uhoh

I don't have it yet, so I will see what if any of these things I really use. The ink scares the crap out of me. It is $$$$. But at the same time really cheap. The cartridges for my 2880 are really cheap. They are $13. Definitely not cost prohibitive to printing. But they are only 11ml and they do run out frequently. This has led to me stockpiling ink. The 4900 has 200ml cartridges. But they are $82 each. But this is still much much cheaper by the ml. 200 ml is = to 18 of the 2880 cartridges. 18 cartridges will cost $234. This is a huge savings in ink. This makes that $82 look like a deal. But the first time I am out of an ink, and I need to print one thing, it will suck.