Eq C&C-- Thanks!

FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
edited September 29, 2011 in Sports
Hi all,
Hoping to get a little C&C on the below. Currently, I'm just a daddy-DSLR so shoot only for myself, and for the girls in the girls in the barn. But am considering trying to take it to a level of hire. Not to compete with the on-site provider but more private hire for the girls in the barn.

Thanks in advance
Paul

20110828Camelot-2-L.jpg

20110828Camelot-L.jpg

20110828Camelot-3-L.jpg

20110828Camelot-4-L.jpg

Nikon D700 with 70-300VR F/4.5-5.6 ISO 800

Comments

• GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    Nice shots.
    No.# is a bit late, they like the shots pre to peak action. I don't find shots like 3 sell well at all.

I also usually try to frame with both edges of the gate in the pic. Don't know there is anything that says you have to do it that way, just looks asthetically pleasing to me. I think the angles of 1 & 2 are best, I usually try to get 45o angle shots.

I think you are making a mistake here. you shouldn't be asking shooters what they think. They will generally nitpick totaly inconsequental crap that the rigers never will and their sense of a good pic will be different to experienced shooter.
    If your wondering who should you listen to, also ask who will be paying you the money.

I make it a point to talk to as many people as possible at every event I do and find out what they like and what they don't. Never to thay say the left hoof is a bit soft or it could do with more sharpening or contrast etc, They say it looks good because the ears are forward and the feet are tucked in or they say they don't like it because.....
    Find out what the majority want to see( and buy) and your off to a flying start.

I like Eq and SJ. Always easy to tell when you have the shot right unlike Dressage and hacking that are like watching paint dry and take forever and a day to get through. :0)
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    Thanks G! I appreciate your suggestions.

I wondered about image#3. I'm a fan of timed jumpers on the backside of the jump (these are obviously HJ's at 2'6"). I decided to take the opportunity to work on timing and see if I could stay relaxed and patient. Since there's only one shown, it speaks to my being anxious on the trigger..Laughing.gif.
    Also, thanks for the thought on the uprights. I wonder whether to shoot vertical or horizontal. I love the wide sense of landscape, but want to be in as tight as my lens will let me. Thanks again!

**quick question..I usually hang out in the Challenges, so I'm new here. There's many obvious pro's like yourself in this community, but few with websites included on their profile. Why is that? Like all of us, I'm a fan of photography, so I always love to see the images other produce. Especially the professionals in the group.
  • littlebayzombielittlebayzombie Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    #1 in particular is excellent. Such determination on the little girl's face!
    ♥ Jenifer
    I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building. - Charles M. Schulz
    edited September 3, 2011
    Froch wrote: »

**quick question..I usually hang out in the Challenges, so I'm new here. There's many obvious pro's like yourself in this community, but few with websites included on their profile. Why is that? Like all of us, I'm a fan of photography, so I always love to see the images other produce. Especially the professionals in the group.

For me ( and I'm an odd one so take it for what it's worth) there are several reasons i don't have website links.

The first one would be that although i do ahve a site, it does not have an index page as such. I use the site as a repository for pics and give my clients direct links to their gallery.
    My marketing is done by direct contact rather than through the site directly. I have pages for different things I cover as backinfo sources for potential clients.

2ndly, part of the reason i have specific pages for each set of pics is to monitor hits. I can tell the response I have got, ( although online sales was a short failed test for me) from each event.

3rdly, I don't want my stats influenced by non customers all flocking to my site from this one being no one here is a client.

4thly, I don't want to addvertise what i'm doing to my competitors or potential thereof. Whenever I find or hear of someone covering an event I'm interested in, first thing I do is go to their site, check out what they are doing and work out what i'm doing different and better to highlight that to the potential client.
    Given I have a bigger and better setup than anyone else in teh country I know of, the only thing I could do is educate my competitors and I have no reason to do that.
    I sometimes give people I am trying to help here links but I like to play things close to my chest in a competitive market and remain in control.

Many people base the majority of their marketing on their site and others like face space etc.
    I don't do therefore have no need to get it out there. :D
    edited September 4, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    For me ( and I'm an odd one so take it for what it's worth) there are several reasons i don't have website links.

.................... :D

That makes PERFECT sense. Thanks for all the insight!
  • justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Jump Photos
    I agree, Picture #3 was taken a little late. The rest look good and you can also try a full side shot too. Those are always nice, especially when the jumps are higher.
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    The backlighting and resulting rim light on 1 and 2 is awesome. Makes the girls look angelic. However faces and eyes are king, so #2 fails a little in that regard. If #1 is my daughter, I'm buying a poster. But that doesn't mean anything for your future sales, most people do not value photographs the way we do.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited September 28, 2011
    justus wrote: »
    I agree, Picture #3 was taken a little late. The rest look good and you can also try a full side shot too. Those are always nice, especially when the jumps are higher.

Thanks J!
    As my daughter informed me this weekend, the downside of the jump only works with tall jumps. We shot a bit at the LA EQ Center this weekend's GrandPrix...wow. Exciting stuff!
    Thanks for taking the time!
    edited September 28, 2011
    The backlighting and resulting rim light on 1 and 2 is awesome. Makes the girls look angelic. However faces and eyes are king, so #2 fails a little in that regard. If #1 is my daughter, I'm buying a poster. But that doesn't mean anything for your future sales, most people do not value photographs the way we do.

Thankyou for taking the time Jack!
    I tried to pull #2's face up a bit, but completely understand what you're saying. Shooting artistic vs. shooting for 'mom and dad' are two different animals. I prefer the former....I don't get enjoyment from producing stock shots. I'll guess I'll just stay on the sidelines as what you pro's like to call a...daddydslr...Laughing.gif. And rest assured I would NEVER poach. Thanks again.
    edited September 29, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Shooting artistic vs. shooting for 'mom and dad' are two different animals. I prefer the former....I don't get enjoyment from producing stock shots.

This is something I face every event I shoot.
    What the clients like and will buy is far and away from what the ideal photograph is. they look at tecnicals with the horse and rider and are unfazed by crappy backgrounds and other things that you would get crucified for if you entered a photo comp or put a pic up for comment on a forum.

The thing is, at the majority of events I cover you just couldn't get a shot of artistic merit due tot he layout of the rings, where the parking is, direction of the sun, orientation of jumps etc.
    I did an eventing comp a few weeks back and at one water jump I had a clear, natural background with great lighting. It was absoloutley exciting to be able to take pics that were photographicly good instead of just having to make the best of what you got which was mostly wrong.

I did notice that despite my enthuasiam for the pics, they didn't sell better than any of the normal run of the mill shots with crap in the backgrounds etc.
    What I do is just bread and butter and the important thing is to give the customer what they want and will pay money for and put business before photographic concerns which is where I think a lot of shooters fall down.
    I'll guess I'll just stay on the sidelines as what you pro's like to call a...daddydslr...Laughing.gif.
    You would be my favourite person at the events I shoot.

My crew and I have all learned to keep an eye out for the people with camera's, especialy SLR's and make sure we do as many pics as possible of the kids they are shooting because the people with camera's consistantly prove to be our best clients.
    We had a new record the other week with one woman with a 5D and a 100-400 spending $320 on a single order of 1 child.
    there is anotehr kid we see and her father consistantly spends around the $200 mark. Basicaly buys every pic of her on disk and orders a few prints of his favourites. I think his gear and the amount he has is worth about double what I use and i even give him pointers on taking pics but every event, he's there credit card in hand buying everything we take.

Another guy we see less often is much the same. He and his wfe are there ever time their kids go out blazing away but are always at the trailer after each of their kids rides going through the pics and making lists and then giving them to us at the end of the day. Earlier this year I found his camera bag where his wife left it under a tree after they had gone home. Going through it I found a list of pics he had brought from us at an earlier event so knew whos bag it was and kept it in the trailer to give to him the next day. The following morning I saw him driving in and walked out in front of him holding the bag. I thought the guy was kiss me when he jumped out.

Definately an example of " How to win friends and customers for life"! :D