7D AF Microadjustment

travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited November 1, 2011 in Sports
I purchased a SpyderLensCal & ran the test a few nights ago which verified that my 7D had a major back focus issue! Anyone else run into this issue on this on their 7D? Did you microadjust the AF or did send it to Canon for calibration? It used to be my workhorse but as of late has been producing way too many soft images when the focus is spot one. Thanks!

i-SWGmvjj-XL.jpg

i-fQL5vSp-XL.jpg

i-zSp9zws-XL.jpg

i-fqKMsgV-XL.jpg

i-5sL2kJH-XL.jpg
Travis M. Chance
twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
sitefacebook

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    I had the bf issue with my 300 f4 / 7D combo. I did the micro adjustment in camera, which was easy to do and fixed the problem. I haven't noticed it with any of my other lenses.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited October 29, 2011
    Jeffro wrote: »
    I had the bf issue with my 300 f4 / 7D combo. I did the micro adjustment in camera, which was easy to do and fixed the problem. I haven't noticed it with any of my other lenses.

Just an update here.....I did notice this back focusing issue with my 17-40L. I had to adjust it to -7. I've thought things were just a bit off for awhile now, but today I noticed it more, since I was shooting people and not landscapes. Only took about 10-15 minutes to shoot a series of shots and check them 100% size.

First I shot 3 shots each at -5, 0, +5. -5 looked the best, but wasn't quite there. Then I shot 3 shots each at -5, -7, -10. The winner was -7. Since it was dark out when I finished I'll have to wait until tomorrow to do some real world testing at this setting.

It solved the issue on the 300L, so I'm pretty confident this will do the trick on the 17-40L.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2011
    Given your shots are of moving people, how do you determine that you have something that is repeatably adjustable with the MA? The issue may be lag on the servo focusing in which case the adjust would work as long as the motion vector is consistent for your future pictures. Or am I missing something here? FWIW, I tried having Canon adjust a 50 f/1.2 for me and it went from +15 to -12!!! However, I understand you will get much better results if you send the body and lens in.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited October 30, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Given your shots are of moving people, how do you determine that you have something that is repeatably adjustable with the MA? The issue may be lag on the servo focusing in which case the adjust would work as long as the motion vector is consistent for your future pictures. Or am I missing something here? FWIW, I tried having Canon adjust a 50 f/1.2 for me and it went from +15 to -12!!! However, I understand you will get much better results if you send the body and lens in.

Test and adjust on a stationary subject, if it then doesn't work on a moving subject I guess you could blame in the servo vector thingy....rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 30, 2011
    Jeffro, what I'm asking about isn't how to calibrate, but rather your images above that you not as being proof of the back-focus issue.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 30, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Jeffro, what I'm asking about isn't how to calibrate, but rather your images above that you not as being proof of the back-focus issue.

That's why I laughed, if it's not a micro adjustment issue, then I have no idea how you'd fix an AF problem. Too scientific for me.....rolleyes1.gif

The pictures posted do look like something the micro adjustment would cure though.
    edited October 30, 2011
    Hopefully it does. Good luck with it!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Hmmmm, To my eyes I don't see that it is consistant in your images. Are you shooting multipoint for sports? I had no luck with that, never knew where it would lock focus. I shoot it all in center single.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    First of all, do this calibration:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/58042-AF-microadjustment-tricks

The images are now gone but if you are capable of following directions it should be pretty clear when you read them while doing the calibration.

If you still have problems after that, send it to Canon. I did, and had it back within 7 days. I saw a significant improvement.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.