Options

Nikon D700 - Sports Settings

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited September 5, 2011 in Sports
Do any of you have a strong alternate opinion on any of the recommended settings that Mike Hagen has at his site for Nikon D700?

http://www.outthereimages.com/images/D700_Setup_Guide.pdf

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    I differ considerably

If shooting something fast with a lot of moving parts within the subject (racing Greyhounds ) shutter priority. Other than that - manual.

I use aperture priority most when shooting dimly lit subjects until SS fails to get it sharp, then manual.

51 focus points will allow the camera to decide who to focus on in a group, if that's OK with you; use it.

I use auto iso, auto wb. If you're shooting from a 50 yd line, you're probably turning into and out of the sun; leaving no time for manual adjustments

that's just me, btw I shot raw
    Rags
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    Almost always manual. I prefer the cloudy WB even in direct sunlight. AF-C to focus, 21 points, never auto iso, sometime auto WB. I think you're going to find things all over the board here Mark. It will depend on style and experience, and likely other factors.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    The important thing is to do what works for you, not some other dude. You need to come up with methods that are relevant to what you shoot and how you shoot.

I shoot in 2 modes. Manual, and aperture priority. That is it. No auto ISO ever. I do not want my camera moving such an important setting around for me. If light is consistant, I use auto WB, If it is mixed weird light, or a staged shot, I use custom WB with an expodisc or gray card.

A lot must be considered for post processing time when shooting a sporting event. If you shoot full manual, 1 ISO setting, and custom WB. You will have a more consistant set of images. You can then easily apply settings to all of the images in a set. Pick one image, tune it up then apply these settings to all of them with 1 click. If you shoot in any of the auto modes your exposures will swing back and forth and you will have to individually tune images. This takes way more time.
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Guys, I am not talking so much about shooting manual or shutter priority.

I was talking about the rest of the menu settings that Mike has in that link.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Didn't you ask for strong alternative opinions? For example 51 pt is awful wrong for motion sports; I'm sure it's good for shooting chess

I set my cam up like that when I first got my cam. Then I had to unlearn the settings

The responders gave you good advice

What types of sports do you shoot? you may get better advice.

If you don't shot yet, use P - you'll learn fast enough not to trust the cam.
    Rags
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    3d tracking is not so good for most things. 21 point is what I like. I find it very reliable.